Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Squam fishing

Last Monday evening. I was the only boat there, this AM two other boat that left by 7:00 AM, still nothing.
John S, have you found the thermo cline on Squam? My new fishfinder is suppose to give me the information, even at the max sensitivity, still can not see the thermo cline.

Re: Squam fishing

I'm not sure myself, I get 54 degrees at 36 feet, some say it's at 33 feet right now, myself I think it's deeper, maybe 38 to 42 feet ????????

One thing I lack seeing is suspended fish at any depth ????? Bait for neither for that matter, everything is layng on the bottom. I'm told they are still picking bugs off the surface from first light til 7:30 or so. Tried fishing on top early with streamers, nothing, tried getting them as they go down
from 7:00 to 9:00, nothing.

Myself I feel on Squam, a fisherman that packs it up by 7:00, with no bites has little chance of catching anything unless he borrows a few of Adriens horsehoes and places them the same as Adrien does, well not exactly the same place as Adrien has no romn left in his, you must use your own posterior..

Normally, the past few years, if you want to catch fish on Squam during the warm months and into the Fall, you have to put some time in. Like 6 or 7 hours
and you should catch 2 to 6 fish, no matter how many lines you have out, but this year not so, not yet anyhow.

Im told it could change anytime and continue to be good the rest of the season, I hope my source is correct, I have confidence he is.

In the meantime we are just trying different things along with our proven stuff, waiting for the bite to change. No more mid-week fishing for now, only the weekends and no marathon days on the Lake, 4 or 5 maybe 6 hours and that's it, unless -------

Last year our best fishing was from 48 to 52 feet late July and August, we haven't hit those depths that hard yet.

John S.

Re: Re: Squam fishing

Fished today everywhere from 30 to 65feet with no luck had DBs and other lures on. In the past, 38 feet during the summer was great fishing. I'm seeing a lot of fish from 45 feet down to the bottom but most are surrounded by bait fish (smelts??).
Even down to 31 feet I'm catching bass!!

Re: Re: Re: Squam fishing

We caught a Smallie at 41 feet last weekend. Try switching to smaller spoons, Sutton # 5, Top Gun Smelt Gun ( I call them mini-top guns)

Last year at this time the 61 was very hot for us, then cooled down fast when they started to eat the small Smelt "young of the year" in August. When we switched to smaller spoons and small streamers, they came right around for us. But it might be a tad early for the change over, but then again, it's been a strange year is putting it midlly, so who knows.

I know the water temp at 32/33 feet is like 59 degrees. Seeing fish and bait suspended at 45 feet is a very good sign, I've been looking for this for weeks now..

Keep in touch, let me know if things change, looks like I might give it hell Friday and the weekend too, or book a charter on Winni so I can catch a fish or two..

I'm having fun learning more and more each year, but it can be frustrating sometimes, like right now.

John S.