Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: downrigger technique

Yeah, I have been using the roemer releases too. Adrien got me hooked on them. Never seem to have false releases on them and I love the way you can adjust to any tension you want.
Any time I use a "cheater" I put a swivel on thats big enough to slide down and catch on the main lures hook. This way there's no chaffing on the main line at knots. Whatever it takes to keep from losing two lures at once!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: downrigger technique

fishlessmen,
when do you send the snap w/leader down, if you have the first line 15' behind the ball do you send the slider down at say 20' or do you send them down together?
would like to try that, seems alot easier and quicker than stacking.

ilucas

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: downrigger technique

Am i correct in assuming that the slider rig would be considered your 2nd line ?

ilucas

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: downrigger technique

YES IT IS YOUR SECOND LINE!!

Every state except new hampshire allows multiple lures per pole and still considers it 1 line but not us.

You just set your rod to depth. then snap the snap around your line and throw the lure in the water it will find the mid way point itself and stay there.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: downrigger technique

excellent, seems so easy, do you use that method much on winni?

ilucas

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: downrigger technique

Only use it on winni when i have 5 or 6 guys on the boat. makes it easier than having 12 poles in the water. Especially on a charter with people that don't really know what they are doing 12 poles confuses them too much. You ought to see the look on their face whan they catch 2 fish on the same pole at once, completely baffled for at least 15 minutes.

Adrien,
I wish i knew that trick 2 weeks ago when i was in maine. i fished most of the week by myself w/ just 2 lures in the water. Next time i will take full advantage. thanks

ilucas

Hey guys... not to be a smart***... but before venturing out with "cheater" lines, be sure to read the regs for the waters you will be on. I've fished in a couple other states (AK & MA) that have "2 hook" laws similar to NH.
Actually, Alaska has a general freshwater fishing law of only one "line" with up to two hooks on that one line. While this law varies depending on location and species, it ends up covering most freshwater species anglers target.
Last time I fished Massachusetts I read a law in their book stating it was prohibited to fish with more than "two hooks"... with a "hook" described as a device targeted to catch a single fish at a time. With two lures you fail to comply with that law. I checked before writing this and that law is still part of the regs. Perhaps I'm misreading it?
In either case... check pertaining laws prior to attempting anything you read or hear from others. Better to be safe than sorry.
Just trying to keep anyone from getting a fine...

Carry on.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: downrigger technique

i only set the first line about 4 to 6 feet behind and above the ball about a foot. that way the ball can occasionally bounce bottom. when setting up the cheater i hook the cheater lure into the gunnel and then drop the weights. when things are set up i toss the cheater lure over board. ive been using 20 pound main line which adds more dragg and bow to the line as it goes down to the ball and use 4 pound test flouro tippets which get changed regularly. be careful of the laws, i consider this technique 2 lines in maine and so do the guys at kittery trading. ill ask the maine dept about this at one of the shows this winter but i never like the answers i get from them. last year i asked them about the use of cusk for bait as i actually caught a few in my bait trap. 3 different answers at the show and none were from the rule book. found out that cusk are considered a game fish, mentioned in another book, not the rule book, so we are sometimes expected to know more than we are told.i was supposed to get a call later confirming this but never did. sometimes its best to play it safe until you know waht is right. i like the fact that the state of nh responds to questions on this site as it adds a lot to the knollege we need.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: downrigger technique

Fishlessman,
I was standing there in person while my friend asked the colonel in maine about this one. He worked at the department and i showed him the way to do it. The game wardens were not sure as they had never heard of it. So we got the Colonel and he said it is a go, so it is legal.

then maybe ill change some things, it does make you feel a little skittish when the guys patrolling dont know whats up though. the game warden on sebago seems like a real nice guy, a real hard worker. last year was a little different, we were approached a couple of times by a different guy that thought it was ok to approach the boat all hunched over with a firm grasp on his guns handle. would you say 2 is the limit then for cheater lines on 2 rods

never went past 2 lines per rod, so i don't know?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: downrigger technique

fishlessman,
looks like you had alot of action last weekend, are you fishing the shoals across from nason beach on the back side deep drop? the week I was there there were alot of boats there until about 8:00 am. the game warden told me that they were catching some good size lakers about 1/4 of a mile off the west point of frye island were it goes from 20' to over 100' real sharp

ilucas

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: downrigger technique

i was fishing wards cove last weekend. just a little south of long beach (jordans store is across from long beach). i havent had much luck fishing the big shoal for salmon, lots of lakers on and around it. i usually fish the drop off just in front of nathans but the last 2 weeks seem to be a little slow there. i seen charlie from the marina fishing there a few weeks back and decided to try it, from land it goes from 20 feet to 80 feet back to about 50 feet and then gets deep. seems that both sides of the 50 feet section hold fish. we fished the shalower side this weekend but saw most boats on the other side.