Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Squam report

Friday: 4 lines, we caught 3 small Salmon and a 16" Laker, all at 35'. That's two little Lakers this year, good sign that some are reproducing there. No big Salmon, fished hard 9 hours, several areas of the Lake, a long day. But we saw lot's of suspended fish mid0-morning, especially off Kent Island, I think a good sign.

Saturday: 2 lines, plenty of fish seen at 30 to 40 feet (thermocline estimated at 35') at first light, caught a 3 pounder right away, then only a few small ones rest of the morning, only fished till 9:30 or so. Some friends caught a few small Salmon and lots of Bass and White Perch, they also got a 6 pound 7 ounce Salmon, I think the only keeper.

Sunday: Big Dave and his daughter came down, we set out 6 lines but it was over an hour before we had em all set up, one rigger with a "Kenny G" (Black/Purple top Gun) kept going off. A few small Salmon and a few Bass. Re-rigged some other lines wuith Purple and Black combos had more hits and releases but not many fish in the boat. They would stay on for a minuet or so, then gone several felt like nice fish ????????

We even had a double, first time ever on Squam, mine got off and Dave's was a small Salmon.

After a while we figured it was the Purple pattern they liked, put on a Purple one side and Orange bottom DB (home made tape job) had a strong hit on the top stacked line, about 38 feet. Fish came right up and out, what a jumper and strong as a bull, every time she jumped we feard she was a goner. Got her to the boat 3 or 4 times and she would rip of 30 to 40 feet, talk about screaming drag, what a beautifull sound. Dave expertly netted her on the 2nd attempt.

Definatley the best fighting Salmon of the year and boy I needed it, I was really getting down with the fishing being so slow.

We did use some new scent Sunday that Dave brought me, he will be marketting soon, it's made from 100% Smelt, might have made the difference ???????????????

Another tid bit, one very good Squam Salmon fisherman, we call the "Ed the Rebel", uses frozen Smelt exclusively when live are not available, this guy catches quite a few BIG Salmon, I mean 5 and 6 pounder regulary, every time out. Well, since he ran out of frozen Smelt 2 weeks ago, I think he has been skunked 3 outings in a row, at least 2 for sure. So I guess the Salmon, expecially the big ones know what they want to eat.

My fish Sunday had 2 small white Perch the size of a big shiner, a regular smelt and a Smelt from this year. So it looks like they are on Smelt and live bait again and perhaps off the bugs.

Water temperature was 82 degrees on the surface and still 59 degrees at 35 feet, 57 in some areas.

Sorry for the long report, it was an interesting weekend.

John S.

Re: Squam report

Sampson.. I gave you that purple and orange DB.. Homemade my a-- ... Ha Ha.. I showed Dave from up north when he was in the store on Sunday a salmon we caught that day.. He said it was also on that Purple and Orange Combo.. Seems to be really hot right now.. Tell your buddy.. Ed we have frozen smelt if he is looking.. Good luck on Squam.. Fishing on Winni has been excellent the past week.. Stop in and say hi next time your around..

Jay..

Re: Re: Squam report

You did show one to me and like an a--hole, I said "thanks, I'll make one and give it a try". I remember well as I felt like a real jerk later that I had said that.

It was your idea or creation for sure (or Dave's) and it did the job very nicely, anyhing with Purple was hot Sunday for us.

I'll tel Ed you have the Smelt, save me some too, what the heck, they work for him, I might as well give em a try sometime.

Thanks for the well wishes on Squam, we need them sometimes, I'll be stopping by one of these days soon.

John S.

Re: Squam report

the purple and orange, and purple and copper have been good lately on my lake also. nice fish by the way.

Nice pic of the grandkids in the bragging board. That's what makes it fun right there. The young lady certainly looks happy to be with gramps!

Re: Re: Re: Squam report

The boy, Chris is my son John's (the Bass man) boy, lookms like he might be a chip off the old block, his Dad that is.

The little girl Stella is one of David's 3 adorable girls, love all the grand kids to pieces. It's quite a kick to see them catch a Bass, I think enjoy it more than them. They do tire and get bored quickly however if there are no bites, but normally we can find a hungry Bass real easy for them, size is no matter.

John S.

Thanks, I'll try Purple Copper next week too.

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Squam report

John,
Are you able to get your boat under the bridge to Big Squam????? The Lake went up another 5 Inches this week end, but did go down a little today.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Squam report

Very close, it was worse coming back in Sunday than when I went out. I use the guage sometimes, but my best indicator are the drain holes under the bridge, if I can see them at all on the Walters Basin side, I'm OK. If they are just about covered with water I have about 4" clearance. The last two steel girders going into the channel from Little Squam are the killers, they are allot lower than the others and when it's tight we have to stay to the left going out, hug the wall and I'm OK. I really feel sorry for anyone with a standard top, they have to loweer it in and out these days to be safe..

I got caught once so I had the new top made 8" lower than the original top. I talk with the guy that controls it when I ave a problem or concern, of course he acts on orders from powers above.

Here is a web site that moniters the Lake height hourly. http://www.des.state.nh.us/rti_home/
I also have the e mail address of the guy that controls the ****s, etc. When I get nervous, I check it out on the web site before I come up.

It was 562.88 feet above sea level Sunday, subtract 550 from that and you get the Lake height under the bridge which was 12.8, 12.5 is full Lake, so it was about 4" over full Lake.

Did you get ot last weekend, how did ya do ????? I think the fishing or should I say catching is improving some. Each day it got a little better for us last weekend.

Today should be a great day, new moon, hope you were able to get out ?

Do you have a Marine radio ???

John S.

John S.