Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GD Downrigger cable squeel!!! (#&#^*!!)

I haven't had the problem since I started using pancake type rigger weights

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GD Downrigger cable squeel!!! (#&#^*!!)

"The Tank" has an alum. hull. I get the squeel at all but the very slowest speeds (> .5 mph).
The rigger is a cannon easi-troll. Ya, I know it's ancient. Hey, my other rigger is one of the original Riveria's (so old there's no clutch.)If ya, wanta talk about old. Guess which rigger I always run shallower than the other!!!! Come to think of it I don't recall the Riv making the noise (duh)!
Slip- never thought about those vibration dampers (I do bow hunt) might even have one kicking around in the bow takle box. Worth a try.
I'm pretty sure it's coming from the cable as related in one of the threads.
Also, thanks for the idea about the pancake weights. I'll get one & try it.

Gary

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GD Downrigger cable squeel!!! (#&#^*!!)

I fixed it on my Pontoon boat, I turn up the stereo.

Mine squeals all then time, guess I got used to it ?

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GD Downrigger cable squeel!!! (#&#^*!!)

Yours are nothing like others I've been near. Have had a headache from a day on the water aboard another boat last year. Unbelievable how "piercing" that noise can be.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GD Downrigger cable squeel!!! (#&#^*!!)

They sell non steel wire to solve that problem, but I couldn't afford to lose it. The white noise it produces is condusive for my sleep patterns......

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GD Downrigger cable squeel!!! (#&#^*!!)

Problem with the non-steel rigger lines is they don't work with the positive ion control on my Canon Mag 10s nor would it work with a Black Box. But non metal line would surely kill it.

Don't know about vibration damping, but you might make the rigger's "harp string" artificially too long to "sing" if you attached a metal wire with an alligator clip to the rigger wire, perhaps clamping the other end to a metal surface on the boat. Just a thought if anyone cares to try.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GD Downrigger cable squeel!!! (#&#^*!!)

Pancake weight or more weight will help depends on speed. I have big jons when the noise gets to me I have small bungee cords I wrap around the boom, then both hooks on the cables adding a little tension. Ball still goes up & down no problem. Works OK. w-fat