Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Loosing fish ??????

Has anyone else noticed an unusal number of fish getting off after a hook up, what I mean is "on for a while, then just gone", not from a jump or bad net job, tight drag, etc.

We have also seen quite a few releases with an obvious "fish on" and when you get to the rod it's gone.

Seems I read of others having the same problem.

Any ideas ??????? I wonder if our hooks are big enough on some spoons ????? Hook may not penetrate the lip 100%, too short on bigger fish, just a thought.

John S.

Re: Loosing fish ??????

I have lost alot of fish this year, one time I missed five in a row, I had to look to make sure there were hooks on the lure! It is however nearly impossible to catch a fish without any lure at all!!! LOL

we were missing alot on the leadcore, but fishing 6 or more colors back is a long time reeling. had been thinking that it was the little hooks on the db's, but then started loosing them on the top guns. hookups on the riggers have been solid, only a few off. trolled a db around for quite a while only to reel it in and see it had no hook on it. that didnt help much, defective split ring

Re: Re: Loosing fish ??????

I have had that happen too. I only use leadcore. I do think the hooks on the DB are sharper than on the top guns smeklt guns etc. I hane not lost any fish on the db's. But, I have on top guns and smelt guns. I took a close look at the barbs on the TG's and SG's the barbs dont stick out that much. I switched these hooks and put on eagle claw laser sharp hooks the barb sticks out alot further which must make a difference because I have had better hookups. Who knows when you have 6-8 colors of lead out theres alot of time for them to throe the hook. Any way switching out the tebles made a difference for me.

Re: Re: Re: Loosing fish ??????

I thought about changing trebles and I also thought most dropped fish were on my DB's, very small trebles, but I use mostly DB's so that was no surprise. I think the size hook, etc. may have something to do with the action too and I wouldn't want to screw up any spoon designs ??? I never, that I can re-call, have this problem with Sutton's, bigger hooks maybe ?

Guess I'll have to start recording more information on the dropped fish, hopefully it will end and not be an issue, on Squam sometimes you don't get a 2nd chance.

Seems like we all are having some problems without too much of a common denominator except with lead core use. I was allways told you do not pump lead core when a fish is on, but rather a slow sready reeling in, anyone have an opinion on that ???

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Loosing fish ??????

John, top guns come with size 8 trebles as Alan at A.J.s told me (I had to replace some rusty hooks). You could try going up to a size 6. Seems like sharpening the hooks regularly might also help. Then again, think about the reaction of the fish when it finds out it hit metal--not much incentive to hold on, eh? I'm starting to use scent on all my lures now.

My 2 cents captian;
I converted all my lures after I make/bye them to single hooks. I started this up to Champlain back in the early 90's. I picked that up from some locals who had the same problem with the blue backs. I still lose a few, but I think the hook ups are better, and you sink that single bigger hook in deep. it is also easier on the releasing of fish. A bigger trebble on a DB does not swim as good. A singe (I forget the size, but they are pretty big) swims I think better than the trebble they come with, I also use the silver/orange flickers on these.

I also reel like a bi### when they become airborne and try to keep their head pointing at me instead of shaking all over the place, with your lure going one way and them the other. This also seems to work, but you got to let off the reeling like a bi### when they hit the water.

Thats me!!

Popeye

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Loosing fish ??????

Popeye: Where do you get the flickers ? What size, etc. I like that idea.

Erivc: I also find much more hits when I use the scent suff.

Another thing I'm trying to do lately is set the drag a little tighter so when we get a release it has some punch to set the hook better, but not so tight to be a problem of course and I wil back it off if needed when playing the Salmon.

As far as sharpening hooks, I seldom use any one spoon that much (some never) and if it's a good one I will have 4 or more the same, if I have to I rather change the hooks or re-do the spoon alltogether, new tape etc.

With Bass lures and ocean stuff I only have a few lures so I use the same ones all the time, so the hooks do need sharpening more I suppose as I keep them forever.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Loosing fish ??????

Detillos up to Burlington. I only have a few (dozen) left or I would give you some. I'll see if I can find you some.

Popeye

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Loosing fish ??????

Thanks, let me know what I owe you if you can get some, no rush..

John S.

owner used to make an extremely light wire treble hook that would stick to anything. when i first started fishing with 4 pound mono i spooled up only with the 4 pound. with all the stretch in the line i lost lots of fish til i changed the trebles over. havent seen those hooks in a long time, but those would work well with the db's if they could be found

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Loosing fish ??????

Might try the single hook... I found a couple good internet suppliers of bulk spoon blanks, hooks and other hardware. I got trebles from the following company (Stamina)--

URL: http://www.upnorthoutdoors.com/stamina/main.html

I like the idea of the light wire hooks, but the marine grade Eagle claw trebles seem pretty good and they set nicely first time I tried out my homemade "Hincebread" lures with the trebles. I'm also doing what John reported, that being to tighten my drag on the 'rigger lines until there is a release and backing off if needed when fighting the fish.

hi john
i like a single hook vmc is what i like to you on my lures they are wide gap hooks.
The size i you is 2 or 1.0 and on the fish you are geting i would you a 2.0. if you would like i can give some to try
need address jim

Re: Re: Loosing fish ?????? Poll on hooks.

I use DB's, Top Guns, Smelt Guns, the Suttons have welded rings so I wont mess with them I'll just buy them with single hooks from now on.

We might as well take a poll of sorts, as of now it seems the single hooks seem to be favored for les lost fish and less harm to the fish. I use 95% treble as I allways felt 3 barbs are better than one, but now you guys have me wondering ?????? Let's hera it from more of you, single or treble ????

Of course I have a few hundred spoons to change them on if they work out, I'll try a few and then over the winter I'll change the rest. I really have no problem with single hooks, some of the biggest Salmon we have caught have been on Streamers (singles) with # 6 hook

What I will really need is the address for a source should I want to change them all over.

John Sampson
15 Winsor Rd
Billerica, Ma 01821