Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Riggers, attractors and lures for mid summer deep trolling

Here is a hint......click on television broadcast to the left and you will see first hand what salty uses for blades on his downriggers [watch close!!]

Charlies charters [Charlie]

Re: Riggers, attractors and lures for mid summer deep trolling

I use the Dave Davies 4" spinners, look em up in Cabelas. I attach them right off the ball, lure goes above and behind the spinners, works for me.

I ahve used the verticle spinners but like the horizontal ones better, to each his own.

I use the Scotty mini-release clips and attach them direct to the cable anywhere I decide, very easy and fast to attach and clip on to lines, great for stacking as well. A brain dead person could use them they are so easy, be sure to get thje "mini's" and order the ones for rigger cable, not cannon ball.
Everyone that has been out with me loves em, surprised more people don't use them, cheap too.

John S.

Re: Re: Riggers, attractors and lures for mid summer deep trolling

Should have said 48" Dave Davies Spinners in my earlier post, sorry for the typo.

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Riggers, attractors and lures for mid summer deep trolling

John - are you attaching these directly to the back ring on the ball (sorry to ask such an obvious question). I've been using a dodger back there to give me some jigging motion. I'm thinking of using verticals like Salty and others attached to the top of the ball and continue to use a dodger for ball motion. Oh, and I'm using a fish-shaped balls painted to resemble fish...

I'll look into those scotty minis as well. Thanks.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Riggers, attractors and lures for mid summer deep trolling

Wow your really looking to attract fish, not sure you will be able to run the Dodger, Horizontal and Verticle spinners all at the same time, or if it's needed, maybe I miss understood you.

I attach a big snap swivel to the Davies rig and attach it directly to the back of the ball, most balls have a hole for this purpose. Travis use shower curtain clips, but one bounce off the bottom and it opens up and bye-bye Davies rig.

Adrien had a 50+ fish day and swears the painted fish rigger weights did it, that an a wild electrical storm ? I'll tell you the ones AJ sells are really nice, a good priced right too, but they don't swim for s---, I have a couple that sunk right to the bottom on Squam, LOL. Never replaced them, went with pankakes and never lost another one since, so I'm sticking with them.

I think attracting them is easy, getting them to bite is the real challenge, it seems the bigger and older thay are the more they know what they want and are willing to wait for it.

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Riggers, attractors and lures for mid summer deep trolling

John, I'm going to mix it up I think. I've painted my fish weights sort of like Alan does, it was something to do in March when it was between hardwater and open water. I've got an orange one (I bought it through e-bay, its one of the painted scent holding types), a yellow "minnow" design and one thats painted like a rainbow yearling.

I was indeed thinking of trying a dodger off the rear of the fish weight and a vertical above it. Too much stuff? I don't know but I'll play around. I'm definitely going with scent right off the bat. A couple weeks until my vacation at Moosehead, counting the days until I'm on the water...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Riggers, attractors and lures for mid summer deep trolling

Good luck on Moosehead and as far as scent goes I'm a firm believer, but I will admit I get lax on occaision, but when I do remember to use it 100% of the time, we do get more hits, without a doubt.

I wonder what Big Dave used today for his Laker, Adrien uses scent most of the time, but Big Dave has a secret scent of his own. Another big believer in scent and great fisherman with high catch rate is Salty.

John S.

FALSE ACCUSATIONS I HAVN'T USED SCENT.

JOHN THAT IS FALSE - FALSE - FALSE
I DO NOT USE SCENT EXCEPT SOMETIMES ON MY FLIES.

TODAY WAS THE FIRST DAY I HAVE EVER USED SCENT ON LURES EVER, TODAY WAS THE WORST DAY FISHING I HAVE HAD THIS YEAR AND WAS THE ONLY DAY I USED SCENTS YES WE DID GET 1 BIG LAKER AND MAYBE THE SCENT MADE HIM BITE I DON'T KNOW BUT I DO NOT THINK IT IS IN THE SCENT ALL THE TIME, THERE ARE TOO MANY VARIABLES TO MENTION BUT LURE PLACEMENT AND PRESENTATION IS FAR MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANYTHING ELSE I BELIEVE. I HAVE HAD OVER THE LAST 3 YEARS AT LEAST A DOZEN DAYS WITH 30+ FISH BOATED AND UP TO 52 ON THE BEST DAY LAST YEAR AND NO SCENT HELP!

Re: FALSE ACCUSATIONS I HAVN'T USED SCENT.

That many fish on any day says a lot about the importance of the visual presentation. They are SIGHT predators these salmonids, but all in all I can't see how scent would hurt, at least it would mask our smell...

Re: FALSE ACCUSATIONS I HAVN'T USED SCENT.

Your memory is falling you lad, I have seen you use scent at least once, as a matter of fact when you did you made mention that you keep forgetting. You had it in a spray applicator bottle that I have been lookingh for ever since as I hate the squeeze bottles. I think it might have been last year and true I don't re-call seeing you use it again. I suppose I could have said "I saw Adrien use it ONCE"

I observe as much as I can when fishing with you, I know what I saw, at least that day.

What's the big deal anyhow, all I know in my limited experience, on Squam when things are slow (allot of the time) when I use scent (and not allways) I seem to get more bites. On Winni it seems it's never really slow, or ar least for allot of guys so maybe it's not needed there.

Sorry for the accusation,

John S.

Re: Re: FALSE ACCUSATIONS I HAVN'T USED SCENT.

that was the goo that i put on flies sometimes but never on a lure

Re: Re: Re: FALSE ACCUSATIONS I HAVN'T USED SCENT.

OK, now we have the record straight, flies only.

I really like Dave's new scent, worked for me (I think) at any rate I'll be using it 100% from now on. I really did notice the catch rate, which is allways low for me, noticeably improve with the use of scents.

Have a nice day, gotta fly if I want to head north tonight.

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Re: FALSE ACCUSATIONS I HAVN'T USED SCENT.

I often wonder what really is in that scent stuff they sell. I will admit I have some on the boat and use it occassionally but I think I catch just as many without it. Often times my no scented lures catch more than the unscented ones when I do use it. I am sure I can stir the pot with this but...........as in deer hunting, I believe the best scent is no scent at all.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: FALSE ACCUSATIONS I HAVN'T USED SCENT.

i either read or heard somewhere to try wd-40 on your lures. has anyone else heard that?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: FALSE ACCUSATIONS I HAVN'T USED SCENT.

Yup... same as scents.. half the people think it helps, half think it hurts. I have a friend that swears using wd-40 works well for him??? I've personally never tried it. Probably never will.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: FALSE ACCUSATIONS I HAVN'T USED SCENT.

I know some other dumb frenchman up here in Berlin that take small marshmellows and spray them with wd-40 to fish for stockies up here, I've never tryed it cause power bait always worked better for me when doing that, i do keep a can for lubrication purposes on the boat though!!! Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines LOL Dave From up North

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: FALSE ACCUSATIONS I HAVN'T USED SCENT.

just cant bring myself to try it. have bought alot of the db smelts and top guns over the past 2 years and its bad enough losing lures, can't imagine spraying oil on them, it just seems to go against the natural way of things. but if it works for those who have tried, good for them they are braver than me. i did pick up some of the green smelly jelly and will try that

ilucas