Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Trying this post again to see if we get more replies ???

Let's take a poll of sorts, as of now it seems the single hooks seem to be favored for less lost fish and less harm to the fish. I use 95% treble as I allways felt 3 barbs are better than one, but now you guys have me wondering ?????? Let's hear it from more of you, single or treble and reasons why you prefer either of them ????

John S.

Re: Trying this post again to see if we get more replies ???

Trebles on all my lures, singles for bait only at this point. I'm curious about singles too though.

Re: Re: Trying this post again to see if we get more replies ???

The only singles I use are the needle fish because they come that way. Plus when I use live bait I use the singles as well. My last time out I was catching a few rats and they were getting torn up up like chopped meat but I was able to keep them alive for a good release. I really have had good luck with single hooks with only a few long distance releases.

Charlies charters [Charlie]

Re: Re: Re: Trying this post again to see if we get more replies ???

To me, I like singles, easier to release the fish and I think less damaging to the fish,though it depends on the size of the hook and the lure action.What I do is just bend the hook point out of line with the shank for better hookups.Just tweek it a little off center so it grabs when they slam it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Trying this post again to see if we get more replies ???

As stated I use the singles and like them. I converted all (most) of my DBs, and top guns. All my needlefish and chevys have them. I believe they are #2s. They look big, but go in the mouth of the little runts just as easy as the bigger ones. They have a deeper shaft, and sink in really good. They also ADD MOTION to your lures. If you put on bigger trebbles it slows the side to side motion. By adding singles you have more action at the back of the lure. I also use the flickers, and my line has beads. (orange/silver/blue/red, different sizes) that run about 3 feet above the lure. For live bait, I use 2 bigger orange beads. This time of year I use silver/blue, or silver/red.(one pole silver/red, the other silver/blue) 10 beads in all, then a small spilt to keep them up the line. This also gives flash in the sun, or flicks in the clouds. It runs about 1 1/2 to 2 inches in lenght.

Another "top secret" revealed!!! I must be getting old!!

Popeye

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Trying this post again to see if we get more replies ???

What is a Flicker?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Trying this post again to see if we get more replies ???

Little oblong (1/4-3/8s inch)flickers you put on your O ring that make it real pretty. Some lures come with them.

Popeye

Single hooks only on all the lures even the Sutton spoons. For the Sutton spoons use a wire cutter type of pliers to cut the hooks off and replace it with a Siwash open eye hook.

Why single hooks; less damage to the fish that are going to be release; better hook set, with the treble the fish will usually gets hooked on the bottom and top jaw and when he move the jaw he will dislodge the treble; storing the lures do not all tangle up (cluster hooks).

Sizing single hooks; I use the following method. Measure the diameter of circle that the treble hooks makes and choose a single hook that has the same size throat.

Some great replies so far, this one from Grey Ghost hit allot of very good reasons to use or at least try single hooks. I'm going to go 100% with single hooks this weekend.

Thanks for all the good info guys,

John S.

As far as loseing fish go, it's petty hard to lose a fish that you got 2 hooks of the tereble embeded in the top of the fish's mouth and one on the bottom. That being said, I have delvoleped a preferance for single hooks. I fish needlefish lures alot along side topguns and i don't think i lose anymore fish on the single hook lure. Unless I screw up and give the fish slack and he can throw the weight of the lure around. Single hook lures do less damage to the fish and it is much eaisier to relaese a fish without taking him out of the water if you want in my opionion. Of course there are always exceptions but I would have no problem fishing single hooks only

be well

Glen L

Have been giving this a lot of thought lately, especially since the arrival of these 10" Salmon. If we want to catch them again when they grow to 20"+ I think it would not be a bad idea to change to single hooks. After seeing some of the injured fish in the fall nettings it makes sense.

Salty

Re: Re: Re: Trying this post again to see if we get more replies ???

Only lures I have with singles are the "needlefish"... but I don't remember losing many fish on these. I think they are either hooked or not with the single... unlike a treble that may grab a little bit of skin, but not really enough to hold for long. Thus the quick releases we get?
Definitely see the single hooks being better for releasing, better action and easier to untangle from other lures if needed.

didnt some one bring up at the meeting this year that the large single hooks were fatal for the smaller fish as they pierced out the eyes, brain etc. i thought i remember that the smaller trebles were supposed to be better in these regards.

Good question / point fishlessman. I wonder if a single size 4 circle hook might be a good compromise. After all, they're supposed to hook themselves when hitting a lure, right?