Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: A question on the rules

Thanks! Im gonna try to drag the wife out.

Re: Re: Re: A question on the rules

I would have to disagree if there is still one line in the water; the rule is quoted below, if the unlicensed person is driving then he/she is pursing and is every attempting to take and assistance to the other person in taking or attempting to take wildlife.

I’m not a lawyer and for a conclusive answer send an E-mail to the Fish and Game law@wildlife.state.nh.us

Take or Taking: Includes pursuing, shooting, hunting, killing,
capturing, trapping, snaring, and netting wildlife, and all lesser acts,
such as disturbing, harrying, worrying, wounding, or placing, setting,
drawing, or using any net or other device commonly used to take
wildlife, whether they result in taking or not. Includes every attempt to
take and every act of assistance to every other person in taking or
attempting to take wildlife, provided that whenever taking is allowed
by law, reference is had to taking by lawful means and in lawful
manner.

Re: Re: Re: Re: A question on the rules

my mistake Sorry, Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines LOL Dave From up North

i disagree with gray ghost the person is navigating the boat not assisting in the aid taking fish. two different law enforcement agencies.the non licensed person cannot touch any tackle net etc to aid,

I sent Wayne’s question to the Fish and Game and got the following response from Sgt. Bonenfant.

Wayne’s question.

Just wondering if there are 2 people in a boat trolling with 2 lines out total and only one person has a Fishing license. If me being the one with the license gets a hit and takes up the fish. Is it legal for the other person to take the helm on the boat and keep it straight? There would still another line in the water, and if the boat is still "trolling". Im not sure.

Sgt. Bonenfant response.

“No license is required if a person is not handling a line or a rod, i.e.; they are not fishing. No license would be required in the scenario you gave if the second person is merely operating the boat and not handling lines.”

Just buy her a licence, don't worry about it and put two additional lines out. My wife has a license every year and refuses to bring a fish in when I hand her a rod with a fish on, even two lines in the water are hers. Good question however.

I give her the license as a Christmas present, kind of a long standing joke around here, this year she had hers 3 months before me, LOL.

I didn't know a person under 16 can't fish unless a licensed perosn is with them, I sure hope no game warden enforces that one. My father never fished, so I had to go alone when I was a kid a millon years ago.

Here's another question, probably a stupid one, but I've benn thee before. If a person in "YOUR" boat does not have a license and catches a fish, are you liable as the owner of the boat, etc. Because techically, in my mind, the "boat" catches the fish, therefore the boat owner should be liable if anyone on his boat brings in a fish.

Or let's put it another way, you invite someone out fishing assuming he/she has a license, "you" set out 4 lines, on "your" boat, game warden comes by and ask for licenses and your the only one with a license ???

Can he then nail you for fishing with 4 lines ??????

Like I said in the begining, but her a license or forget about all the "what if's".

John S.
(feeling older every day)

OK... about the initial question... I've asked a game warden before and he said he saw no problem with the above situation. He felt that if the other person was only steering while you fought a fish, it was more a sense of safety to let them steer.
However, after one trip on my boat my wife decided to get a license and actually fish too. (She even enjoys reeling in a fish or two) So, maybe just do as stated above and get her a license now. Four lines are better than two.
Secondly, I think the "minor" being accompanied by an "adult" is for hunting (firearm safety). I have never seen this law enforced for fishing... like John said, I'd have been in tons of trouble as a child.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A question on the rules

Not entirely sure about Johns question... I wouldn't think they would charge the boat owner with the extra lines. Game wardens are typically pretty understanding and they would more than likely take your word for it that you were under the impression the other person had a license.
My guess is that they would fine the unlicensed person for fishing without a license. Several times I have seen them take the equipment owned by a non-licensed person... but then again, those people were also fishing in "closed" waters (and reported to the authorities).
If they were using equipment not owned by them, there is a chance that equipment could still be confiscated (at least for a short amount of time)?
To be on the safe side, we should probably always ask instead of assuming. Matter of fact, first time my dad went with me this year... he totally forgot to buy a license before meeting me. Luckily, I asked before leaving my house and we purchased one online for him.

hi john
I send out some hooks and some sample lurer for you to try out with samman hooks.
The big blue is for bait.ok jim

Thanks, I'm off to the Lake now, the wife comes up later, if they come in the mail today, she can bring em up.

Thanks Again,

Re: A question on the rules

I think you are fine. It would pretty tough for a warden to justify that second rod is not yours especially if it is still in the rod holder. If it happens to be in the other guys hands then that is a different story. My experiences with the wardens that are out on the lake is that they are really the nicest guys I have dealt with. Friendly, courteous and professional. Can't say the same for some of Mass. NRO's.

Re: Re: A question on the rules

I have to disagree with what the last guy said about the game wardens from Ma. I am defending Them not because I Live in MA. but because I have experienced them at fishing derbies here in MA. and found them to be fantastic guys. for example. while Ice fishing at a derby we wanted to go to shore Out of sight of our traps for coffees or go to the crapper the wardens said as long as we had a couple of guys to watch the traps while a a couple of us went to do what we had to do and we came back with-in say 1/2-3/4 of an hour they had no problem with that. granted not all the wardens are like that. But when we were ice fishing in NH at the Pepsi derby many many years back we almost got pinched and we would have if we didn't personally know the Main game warden who was head of the district. I grew up in NH and in my early years noticed a few Jerks behind the badge. I still think today that the NH wardens wouldn't let you go for coffee. I am leaving my name out of this so as not to get into any arguments like I have seen on this web site because my memory fades as I get older, but have used smelly stuff on my lures, I do remember that much.

That last post almost sounded like it was Sampson, with the line about knowing you'd used scents and all... just wanted to make sure ol' John didn't take the flak for the comment about arguments, 'cause its not him.

Not sure if you intended your post to appear as if it came from John S, but it came across that way. I'm just sticking up for my bud and saying it wasn't him.

So, "not telling"... any luck selling that boat yet?

Thanks for sticking up for me, but I'm a big boy (as you that know me can see) I'll respond as well.

Not I for sure as I don't even buy a Mass license or ice fish, that said I think I should be off the "hook"
on that one.

However I can say that once upon a time I did meet up with a game warden in Mass and it cost me my fishing license for a year. Not sure what the rules are these days but back then you couldn't fish freshwater until April 21st I think. Well I bought a new rod/reel combo and found some open ice to do some practice casting. I had a casting plug on the line, you know the rubber kind with no hooks, etc. (haven't seen one of these in years) used specificaly for casting, like in your back yard.

Well this mooron saw to it that I lost my right to fish in Mass for 1 year. I had 3 young boys that all loved to fish at the time, I tell you that was tough bringing those little guys fishing and not even able to help them. Of course I did help them now and then but was always looking over my shoulder for fear I was being watched.

That was my one and only experience with a Mass Game Warden, or any Game Warden, so ask me what I think of Mass Game Wardens, all it takes sometimes is one bad apple to spoil the bushell.

My memory is terrible, but I'll never forget that son of a ----.

As far as NH GAme Wardens, I've seen a few in AJ's in the winter time and that's it, never seen one on the water.

I heard one asked Travis or his license once, here's a guy with well over 50,000.00 worth of equipment boat and all and this guy is curious if he sprung for a license. I think he was just busting Trav's b---- for some reason.

Then the other day my son John waved a marine patrol dude over on Squam becaude he was being bothered by a guy doing donuts around him while fishing. He asked about the 150' rule or whatever it is and the guy said he didn't notice anyone doing anything wrong and then asked him for his fishing liscense. So here's my son with a 50,000.00 boat, etc and the guy wonders if he bought a licsense.

So I guess no matter what state they are in if propmpted and in a bad mood they can be b--- busters
when they want. Fortunately most are good guys from what I hear.

John S.

no SlipKnot this is not Mr. Sampson.I do not want to say who I am because I do respect the guys fishing ability, and may want some information from him and want him to give me bad info (not that he would, but you never know). but I can't believe that upuntil this year this guy has never used some kind of attractant on his lures. you mean to tell me fishing for as long as this guy has, HAS NEVER used some kind of product I find it hard to believe. I AM NOT calling him a liar I just find it hard to believe.
I know the boys running this site can tell who I am VIA my IP address I just hope they keep it to themselves and respect my privacy. thanks guys

Not trying to sound like a jerk or anything but if that question is pointed towards the Yo Adrian i would have to disagree whole heartdly, When it comes to fishing i believe everything he has told me or now showed me, He may be young but boy let me tell you he def. know's how to fish!!!!!!!! And like Travis he put's in alot of time to fishing so i think he does def. know what he's talking about. Just my two cents worth and hope i didn't offend anyone but if you kept logs year after year about how and what you caught fish with i think he know's what he's talking about!!!!!! Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines LOL Dave From up North

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A question on the rules

LOL Dave what question are you talking about? nobody was saying the man in question could not fish, the proof is in the pudding. no one was bad mouthing anybody. I was merely making a comment.I can't believe how everybody is defending everybody that really doesn't need defending. this is a good site for learning and I hope to see it remain that way. I know most of the guys on this site are all friends, but does that mean we can't kid with one another??????????? come on guys we are suppose to be adults aren"t we. Let"s not be as thinned skinned as the fish we are all trying to reel in. thanks for reading and enjoy life, remember "you are a long time dead" lets have fun while we can. If I offended enyone as my friend says SORRRRY!!!! but you guys are too serious

Sorry if I offended anyone. Was not my point. Just pointing out the NH guys have been more than pleasant when I have been checked wether hunting or fishing. I am sure there are good apples and bad apples everywhere. My encounters in Mass have not been as pleasant. Glad yours are better.

This is pretty funny... Ummm, you do realize your name is not secret right? Your IP address shows up on every post you make and all it took was a quick scroll through past posts to find who you were. (Hence the reason I asked if you had sold the boat yet.)
Now... you go and call my very good friend a liar in one post and then say you're just kidding around in the next? Doesn't sit well with me.
Hopefully this bunch of posts gets deleted from the site so we can all go back to being "happy".

I'm starting to wonder if "wantsbigfish" is a new alias for the "professional guide" that was starting trouble on here before? Did he live in the Waterville area?

Umm do you realize I put my name on the last post. the reason being because all you kiss --sses are jumping to conclusions and blaming your friends competition for the post I made. and just for the record I don't have a boat for sale, so I don't know where you got that. I am not affiliated with the "Professional guide" or any other guides. All I am is a viewer of this site. I really don't think you are helping your friends by running to thier defense every time some one questions them on something. they are big boys and think they can fight thier own battles. as far as guides I been out with coolwater and who knows maybe I will try the Adrien at some point, (I bet it would be fun) but you know these guys aren't god we can have our questions with out thier school buddies sucking up to them. you talk about aliases sounds like you guys don't care for this "professional guide" why because he doesn't agree with you or your friends. let the customers be the judge. I'm sure that adrien won't loose any business. so please let's get back to the real reason for the website (besides the two charter ads)questions and answers to make us all better fisherman
and as you say let's be happy again.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A question on the rules

Just realized my mistake... there are 5 or 6 names posting from the same IP address. I wasn't smart enough to realize that at first. So, I mistakenly thought it was the first person I found that showed up from that address. (Therefore my apologies to wantsbigfish who is posting from the same place as you.)
As far as being a kiss--- you're wrong. I have no reason to be one. I have my own boat and equipment... The reason I chimed in is there's nothing I hate more than someone being called a liar. Espescially someone as straightforward and honest as the guy you've mentioned here. It has nothing to do with "questions"... ask questions all you want. I was upset by you saying you "didn't believe" what he was saying and then turning around and saying you weren't calling him a liar. ???
The whole thing about the guide came up because there was one here in the past that was making false accusations about people here... nothing to do with him not agreeing with techniques etc... and I was reminded of him. He liked using aliases.
Also, I think you are wrong in assuming most of the guys here are close friends... from what I've seen, its not that way. We just have a common interest of fishing. Yes some of us have created friendships here by meeting up for fishing on eachothers boats... but I don't think any of us is close friends with "the large majority". We just happen to enjoy talking fishing on this board.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A question on the rules

Oops I guess I opened a huge can of worms with a small comment, in error I might add.

Sorry everyone, let's forget it and move on, this is a great site with realtively no arguments, very rare for this type of list or talk group, a testamonial for the type of people that use it.. LET'S KEEP IT THAT WAY.

Sorry,

John S.
(who changed his mind and will go north for the rest of the weekend)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A question on the rules

Before we close this I just want to state that I was not calling the guy a Liar. I was merely saying I find what he said hard to believe, THERE IS A DIFFERENCE. Also I respect the guys talents. I just find it hard to believe (again that is not calling him a liar) that fishing over twentyfive year the man has never once even tried some kind of smell atractant on any lure. but if he hasn't then great it really is no big deal. but as fisherman we usually try any once to better our sport like trying a new lure how do we know they don't work if we don't try them at least once????? I mean the top gun wasn't out when he first started and he had been catching fish with what he already had why would he try that same thing with the smelly stuff. So with that I hope we can end this at least I know I will say no more about it, we'll just have to agree to disagree. happy fishing and good luck