Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Single vs. small trebles and catch and release techniques

sorry, this has to be brief - DO NOT shake them off the hook with the fish hanging over the water in any vertical/semi-vertical position, this is one of the best ways to create MAJOR hook wounds, which we have found greatly reduces growth and body condition/the chance of this fish becoming a "quality" fish in the future - particularly with the age 1 and 2 salmon -"Proline" has it right on the money, holding them in the rubber net (no tangling, no loss of slime coat or scales, keeps the fish more calm) while gently removing the hook is the best way to go

Re: Re: Single vs. small trebles and catch and release techniques

Thanks for your prompt reply. I certainly didn't mean to suggest suspending the fish for release. I usually try to lean over and not remove the fish from the water and not handle unless absolutely necessary. Obviously my goal is 100% survival for the fish I release and I will modify my technique to match your suggestions. Thanks again for your contribution to the board.

Re: to bloat or not to bloat, that is the question...

Thanks for answering my question, when are you coming out with me on Squam. The invites allways there, just give me a date and I'll make sure I'm avaialble.

Sqaum seems to be picking up, just as you said it should.

Leaving now, Friday 2:00, for the weekend (a day late) but I'll send a report Monday, hoping it's a good one. Fishing pretty much alone so I hope I don't Donkey the netting, which is sometimes a problem on my boat when alone.. Popeye may join me Sunday, if his wife let's him, LOL. (I'll hear it on that comment)

John S.

Thanks again,

John S.