Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Newfound Report

what color is a spook db ? What other colors did you use?How fast were you trolling?I ask cause ive gone to newfy at least 25 times this season and have not hooked into 1 salmon im going monday it would be cool to break that streak

Re: Re: Newfound Report

Its white on one side, and black on the other. It has pink stripe the lenght of it, both sides. (made from pinking shears.)It also has red eyes, and a silver flicker on the #2 single hook. The other one that was working was an all pink on one side, white on the back, with a white strip on the front, and a pink strip on back,(made with pinking shears) also with red eyes, an orange flicker, and a single #2. The bow came on the first one. Speed was 2.4-2.8 on the surface. All salmon came from the wagon wheel area (where the 5 door boat house is)Fish came from the 40s down on that side, and 35ish on the ledges side. had a good chop, most fish came going with the wind as it is easier to net solo.
Good luck.

Popeye

Re: Newfound Report

NEXT TIME YOUR THEIR TRY CHANNEL 69 I AM OUT THEIR ALL THE TIME I HAVE DONE PRETTY GOOD WITH SALMON THIS YEAR ALSO FISHED LAST NIGHT 4 LAKERS AND LOST A VERY NICE SALMON ON THE OC TOPGUN AT 42' RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE BOAT LAUNCH MARKING LOTS OF BAIT RIGHT ON THE DROPOFF I GUESS ITS TIME TO PIMP OUT SOME MORE DB WITH THE COLORS YOU SAID PINK AND WHITE SEEM TO BE THE HOT COLORS FOR ME ALSO. SOUNDS LIKE SINGLE HOOKS HAVE A BETTER ACTION TO THEM. WILL BE OUT TONIGHT I WILL TRY THE WAGON WHEEL AND KICK UP THE SPEED A LITTLE. THANKS FOR THE DETAILS

Re: Re: Newfound Report

I called for you laker taker. Ended up talking to a couple other boats. We might come down Wed afternoon.

Popeye

Re: Re: Re: Newfound Report

i went to winni sunday and most likely doin the same this sunday but should be out wed. night depending on the wheather.went out last night only got 1 laker 23"

Re: Re: Re: Re: Newfound Report

Hey guys... I can't remember where wagon wheel is, I didn't pick up a map for Newfound prior to going there... and of course Newfound is not on the new Navionics chip!
However, I just wanted to tell you where I had the luck yesterday so you can try it too. You probably already know this spot... but here goes: (I just lucked upon it yesterday) At the northern end of the ledges... maybe 150 yards from shore? I found a hump that came up to 40-50 feet of water. There was well over a hundred FOW on each side of it. I caught all the fish from the sides of that hump and back towards the beach.
I was going to go back up there this morning, but decided to stay home and "nurse" the sunBURN I got yesterday while out there. Guess I shoulda used sunblock like the wife said...hehe Well, at least now I know what a medium-rare steak feels like in the oven! Can't imagine how bad it would have been without the hardtop throwing a bunch of shade.

Any idea what the thermocline is at up there? I hit a few spots where it looked like a thermocline on the ff at 35-36 feet. Is that what you've been seeing?

Well, I was definitely reminded why Newfound was my grandfather's favorite lake. We used to troll there years ago in a 12' aluminum with 9.9 on the back. With the way those ski boats were cruising out there yesterday, I'd be concerned having that size boat out there now. Looks like you could get swamped? Those folks didn't care where they were driving or how fast!

Anyways... it was fun to get back on that lake. A lot of good memories there. My wife was probably sick of the "stories" by the time we left.

Gramps always talked about a "sunken island" at the northern end, but I don't remember actually fishing it. Any of you know where that is (probably more than one?) and if its still a good spot like he said it used to be. Actually I think he always talked about it being good for ice-fishing now that I think about it.

Thanks and take care

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Newfound Report

I do have that island on my chart. next time I turn on my Lowrance I'll pull the GPS corrd. and send them to you. The wagon wheel is across the lake from the ledges. Sounds like you traveled the same water I did Saturday. The break (temp) on the ledges side was 36', and 45' on the other side.
Planning on Saturday morning now that it is to hot today. Anyone else...

Tip for anyone going down, GET THERE EARLY! The park fills up quick. When I left Saturday, there were 9 boats waiting for parking.

Popeye

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Newfound Report

I forgot to ask, what did you get???

Popeye

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Newfound Report

I put a small report above, but it was under one of coolwaters posts... We started right off with the trifecta! First fish a laker, next a salmon, then a rainbow. The first time I have landed one of each on a trip. After that we pulled them in randomly... but ended up with just the one rainbow. Did catch one salmon that was only 8". Better than winni, where most of our catch lately has been those little fellas.
I didn't write in my log... but I believe we boated around 5 lakers, 4 salmon and 1 'bow. Had four or five others on that we lost and a few "releases" I assume were hits? All this from 12 to 3 or so... I think we got lucky! That or the storm that went through earlier had them up and feeding? Whatever it was, we had fun. Becky (who is not too much into fishing) was even enjoying our catch rate! Of course she pulled in the biggest fish... a fat laker. Downside was that not one of the fish broke the 20" mark. Most were between 15 and 17" But heck, it was fun.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Newfound Report

Popeye, thanks for the offer of sending me the coordinates. I'll have a map next time I go up... that one hump by the ledges sure surprised me, did some quick scrambling to get three of the riggers up over it! Never used a ff on that lake before... and only trolld leadcore in the past, so I had no idea how much it "rolled" in spots.
We marked a ton of fish just off the ramp, in like 40 feet of water. Didn't try fishing them as I assumed they were bass? Any opinions?
Maybe next time I'll see or hear some of you guys up there. I'll have to program the radio to scan 69 as well.
Thanks again.