Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Merrymeeting

I don't see anyone talking about Merrymeeting, is this not a good salmon and trout lake? if not why is the state putting $$$$ into fixing the ramp? there must be some good fish in there ????????????? I don't understand , help me out WHY

Re: Merrymeeting

Hi Forry,

Yes, I fish it allot. It is a pretty small lake, comparatively speaking, only 1100 acres. Never crowded unless the bass guys are there. The ramp is iffy and there is no dock for loading/unloading. Parking is limited as well.
Its a hard lake to fish as only a couple of areas hold lakers and salmon and the smelt are very spread out. You never see continuous bait balls there like in Winni. You do see them but they are not as plentiful. You will also mark allot of perch and bass as well.
We have never had days there like Winni yesterday but the size of the fish can be pretty good. A really big day there is a couple of salmon to 20", a laker or two to 22" and some bonus rainbows to 17-18". A decent day there is 1-2 salmon, maybe 1 laker and 2 rainbows. Most days it is even less.
The fishing basically ends by 8 am as the fish stop biting and the water skiers and Jet skiers are out in force by 7:30-8:00. There are 2 sea planes on the lake as well.
Tried early evenings but it's too busy with other boats then too. The best areas are just before and after the narrow section straight out from the ramp and the furthest right hand shoreline from the ramp (you can't see it from the ramp). Allot of boats fish the immediate right hand shoreline from the ramp and we have marked allot of lakers there but had no luck hooking up.
The NH Guide DB and the copper mooselook work well there on all 3 species.
Hope that helps.
Bob

Re: Re: Merrymeeting

thanks, it just seems more people would fish that lake. You'd think there would be some huge fish in there.

Re: Re: Re: Merrymeeting

there was an article in the hawkeye early this season by dick pinney that talked about him catching smallmouth with teeth marks on them so he went back trolling the largest mooselook wobbler and caught an 11 pound laker .there was a picture and it was a huge fish.