Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bass Spots

Scott - I was killing smallies in Winni before luck would have me catch a 24 in salmon (on a helgrammite) while bass fishing! I Never went back to bass!

Check in with Alan Nute at A.J.s (link to left) and get some helgrammites. Alan set me up with an in-line float technique years ago using rubber stops that thread on the line. I was using only 8-lb. test mono and no leader per set, just a couple split shot about 18-in. above a #2 or #4 hook with a helgrammite. Find drop offs that go from about 20-ft. on the shallow side to deeper water, anchor on the steep part of the drop off and keep adjusting your float depth until the bait is just off the bottom. I found that there was not a single time I put a helgrammite in the water that it was not attacked. I did not always land the fish, but caught plenty. Hope this helps.

Re: Re: Bass Spots

I'll tell you where I've been seeing a TON of smallies! Middle of the lake (we're talking 150' of water), early in the morning, feeding on the rising/hatching insects. Looked like they were tearing up mosquitos the other morning? I'm sure a shallow swimmer or popper just might be an irresistable treat for them?

Re: Re: Re: Bass Spots

Craig, you just broke everybody's heart that thought those were salmon and trout, oh well.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Bass Spots

Oh, did I say bass... sorry. No those are definitely HUGE salmon "finning" the surface. We're talking 4-5 pound fish, at least. Hahaha

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bass Spots

Speaking of fish "finning" the surface eating bugs, having observed this a few times during big bug hatches its my theory that only the really big fish have the luxury to do this...Face it, even a 12-16 in. fish could get inhaled by a really large salmon or just plain large laker. At the surface, in open water, smaller fish are toast to a big predator watching from below. I have seen what I figure to be 24-30 in browns down here in small reservoirs -- big, big fish -- fining and feeding just below the surface...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bass Spots

I was just kidding... the fish that I've been seeing not only are "finning" the surface... they're jumping clear out of the water. Seen enough of them and close enough to say they are definitely bass and lots of them are only 10" long. Would be nice to see a big ol' laker come up and suck one of them in! I'm sure it happens, I just haven't seen it.