Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: conneticut lakes fishing trip

i fished up there last year at least 300 hrs with minimal success so i cant offer much help I caught almost all my fish on a green with yellow dot mooselook wobbler I hope you will post a report after your trip. im planning on making a few trips up there soon myself it is a beautiful area hope you do well.

Re: Re: conneticut lakes fishing trip

I've fished up their quite regularly but only a couple of time this year, Popular way of catching lakers on the First Conn. Lake is to either Anchor with live bait on the bottom (suckers, shiners etc. a man sells them right down by lake francis just look for the sign on the side of the road), at lake francis which is a beautiful lake that doesnt' have alot of traffic even on weekends like Yo said go small, good colors up there on Francis are silver/red, all orange, and diff. orange variations, troll between 1.9 2.4 and you should do fine. went camping up there this past weekend and a nice older gentleman who runs a campground up there was telling me he's been catching some nice salmon up on 2nd conn. lake, he said to troll around and find the 90foot drop off this is the original path of the river and he says he's been hammering them in there, only problem is the water is high because they put the flash board back on the dam and there's no dock there, nice ramp but no dock, If your looking for a nice campground Lake Francis state park is a beautiful campground and they have a boat launch right there Nice fly fishing section on the river right behind it also. Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines LOL Dave From up North

Re: Re: Re: conneticut lakes fishing trip

GodBless you!
Any special rig to get that live bait down there that deep?
Jigs, crawler harness, split shots, etc.?
Thanks

Re: Re: Re: Re: conneticut lakes fishing trip

Most times we run our lures between 30-- to 75 ft behind the ball, if running attractors we run it right behind the ball up to 10ft. Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines LOL Dave From up North

ive only been fishing the river up there for the last few years, if you fly fish the trophy section below francis lake can be incredible if the flow is high enough to draw the larger fish out of first conneticut. i wouldnt fish any new england salmon lakes without a few db smelts, some topguns or similar small lure, some sutton spoons, and small copper mooselook wobblers. flouro 4 pound tippets seem to increase the odds. i think the timberland lodge? on back lake has a guide service for both the river and the lakes, something to consider for the beginning of the week if you havent fished these waters

Michiganman, My Grandfather used to use just a single hook (depends on the size of the baitfish) and hook it right in front of the top fin, then he used to put a big rubber core sinker about 8' above the bait and let it swim freely on the bottom, he would also leave the reel on freespool and feed the fish about 150'--200' of line before locking the spool and setting the hook, if it wasn't a keeper when he got it to the boat he would most times just cut the hook so as not to injure the fish, be prepared it can be slow at times fishing like that but they're some huge lake trout in their. another good spot on the first to try with bait on the bottom and approx 1/2 way from the bottom is across from where the beach is in about 40 to 50 feet of water I've caught both salmon and lakers in that spot anchored Good Luck and make sure to leave a post when you get back and let us know how ya did Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines LOL Dave From up North

A friend just got back from a week in Pittsburg and said the water level in all the lakes and rivers is very high.Rained every morning and evening while they were there.A lot of the boat ramps were under water.

For my money if your coming that far, I wouldn't limit myself to the up north Lakes if I could help it.

Wini and some other mid state Lakes region are on fire right now and I think provide bigger fish overall.

John S.

Re: Re: Re: conneticut lakes fishing trip

where do you all fish on winni?

Re: Re: Re: Re: conneticut lakes fishing trip

Most if the guys on this board fish Winni, I fish it on occasion when I'm lucky enough to get an invite.

Plenty of action, an occaisonal monster or two (Laker or Salmon) and plenty of varity and areas to fish, just get on channel 12 and give a shout to find out where they are biting best.. Great bunch of guys (and a few gals) fish that Lake.

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: conneticut lakes fishing trip

ive got to agree with john as much as i love it up there those lakes cant hold a candle to winni and newfound ive never fished the squam lakes so i cant really comment on them it would be about a hundred mile drive from pittsburg to winni