Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Squam report

I was out on Squam tonight,about 2 hours, beatifull day, but no fish.
Got a beatifull Salmon last Monday, about 22 inches.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Squam report

Good deal, every now and then Squam can and will cough up a monster, glad to hear it as you have been having it tough there too this year, you have more tnan paid your dues.. Your a veteran on Squam so you know how it can be.

Give me a wave when yoiur outthere, what do you have for a boat, I think I know it, maybe saw you Saturday.

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Squam report

Holly _hit !

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Squam report

To Forry and others,

Not to cop a pun, big lake big fish, little lake small fish, seems very appropriate in this case.

Big Squam is where we fish when we want a big ones (most all the time) Little Squam offers small, not legal size Rainbows but hardly ever keeper size. Not sure where they go, maybe down the Squam River and gone????

I have a few underwater store there well stocked with my own donations of rigger balls and allot of other trolling gear, thanks for the donation. Squam is a tough Lake for many reaaons, quickly rising bottom is one of them, I still get into trouble now and then myself if I'm not on the "ball". Low catch rate is another, however big fish are no problem if you can be in the right place at the right time and find a hungry one. Mark your GPS trails, well as far as the bottom goes.

There is an enormous amount of bait in Squam, that coupled low stocking numbers the past few years in an attempt to let Smelt numbers rebound has made fishing there hard, also equates to fish not that hungry, plenty of food.. This has turned Squam into what they call a "Trophy Lake". However this year they have up the stocking considerably as the Smelt are really doing well. So for now we will have to be content with maybe a big one now and then and few (if any) in between, once in a while 3 or 4 fish (with 2 or 4 lines) is possible but should be considered a really good day. Last few years were much better than this, but future years should be much better.

My idea of a Trophy Lake is allways catch a couple (1 or 2, 3 even better) of fish and now and then catch a monster. Squam is not quite there yet but NH F & G are working vey hard to get it back in balance, you can't expect to catch a bunch every trip and still get big ones too. If you want numbers, better to fish Winni if you have a trailer, howeverif you can handle maybe allot of skunks, in hopes of a monster, Squam is the place. Hence the nickname "Land of The Giants". I have to go to Winni now and then with friends to get a fix when Squam is extra stingy in giving up a few fish as it has been lately.

In short, be careful on Squam and don't feel like the lone ranger if you get skunked.

John S.

HERE is The FISH

Re: HERE is The FISH

Nice fish John H Salmonon!!

Salty :o)

Re: Re: HERE is The FISH

real nice fish congrats

Re: Re: Re: HERE is The FISH

John... my bad, I thought I put it on the board in time for you to see Friday. My personal emails to you are coming back again. Says I'm on some "blacklist"?
Anyways... Dave is coming down next Saturday for fishing. I was hoping you could join us? Just let me know.

Re: Re: Re: Re: HERE is The FISH

Yeah def. let us know we can test Slipknots boat and see just how seaworthy it is LOL Nice Fish Buddy but you could have at least smiled LOL Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines LOL Dave From up North

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: HERE is The FISH

Great job John!!!!! Travis said you caught that nice salmon when we all were on winni last sunday I was waiting for the story and pic......Agian great job!!

Charlies charters [Charlie]

Hey Craig,

I don't know how or if that happened, certainly your not on my list, I don't even have a black list ??????? We'll have to check it out and see what's going on. Better to use the phone(s) when E mail is screwed up, especially weekends as I'm at the camp or on the Lake. My cell works on the Lake fine, but not at the camp, use the land line, leave a message if no answer.

Sorry we couldn't hook up over tne weekend, it ws knd of confusing with the if's and maybe's anyhow.

I can be there Saturday, talk later in the week.

John S.

Re: HERE is The FISH

thats a beauty

Re: Re: HERE is The FISH

Wow. Great fish, one of the best salmon I've seen. My biggest ever (Winni) was a 24-in. 5 lb (about) fish caught on a helgrammite while bass fishing! Nice job John S., thats why you put the time in. Eric H.

Re: Re: Re: HERE is The FISH

Hey John... that "blacklist" thing is the same thing it was doing a few months ago when we had a problem. Its some sort of program in your internet provider thats not letting my email go through. Last time it ended up being that my computer had some sort of trojan horse virus attached to email and your computer was seeing that and saying "no way"... I have to run virus scans and stuff (different ones) tonight to see if that is happening again.
So, we'll plan on Saturday. I think we should leave the docks (Ames Farm) around 4:30, okay? I'll call ya later in the week anyways. Gotta go do some "housework" see ya.

Slip - a couple suggestions computer security wise.

1. On Explorer, under Tools>Internet Options under "Privacy" set to "Block all cookies." Only change this to a lower level when you're force to when say ordering something on line. Otherwise, anything other than "block all cookies" allows cookies to get planted on your computer which opens the door to spyware, adware and viruses.

2. Under same menu, but the "Security" tab, set to medium when on "friendly" sites but "high" if you're unsure. You need to set it to medium to post to the board.

3. Go to the following link and download AdAware SE personal edition: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

This is an anti-spyware / adware program that can be trusted, this comes from geeks who work at places like IBM who know way more than me. After it installs, "update" the settings file and then run a full system (not just "smart system") scan. This may take a while. This will find most if not all of the adware and spyware crap that is as bad or worse than some viruses. If it identifies any "registry" keys or files that have been affected thats bad news; however the good news is this will clean that crap out. Follow the commands when done to clean up any cookies or other files identified.

This should help a lot and you'll probably notice your computer works a little better and faster...

Eric H.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: HERE is The FISH

Thanks Eric... I actually already do all that you suggested. I have had AdAware/Spyware on my computers for a couple years now and love it. I am a stickler at keeping it updated too. I run a "complete system" scan every two or three days with the AdAware. (automatically scans at every start-up too) Usually takes about 10 minutes on my laptop. Then I run a "complete system" scan with Norton anti-virus. (Takes another 5-10 minutes) Sometimes one will pick up something the other did not. After I'm done with the scans, I "defragment" the computer.
I am a very impatient person when it comes to internet... I hate waiting. I find that doing the above RELIGIOUSLY keeps my computers running FAST. I am on DSL, but I can go from totally shut down to reading this site in about 90-120 seconds. I love it.

I have problems with my email fairly often and wonder if its something in the server, as I never had these problems when I had cable connection. I have changed nothing else in what I do. Who knows... Could be millions of things I guess.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: HERE is The FISH

Craig / slip - I do pretty much the same routine as you, including fairly frequent "disk cleanup" and "defrag" routines. I swear by it too. If I get any flukiness on my computers I cleanup and defrag right away. Could be anything / any server or router in between you and the destination. Could be the receiving end too! John S. - if you're not doing the 'slipknot' routine already its worth it. Now if only I could catch a salmon like John S.!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: HERE is The FISH

I had Comcast out here today, my syetem was all whacky. Now I'll have my son John check out the rest.

John S.