Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fish Pics

OK I have a complaint....after looking at many fish pics (certainly not limited to this site) I am getting a bit fustrated by the "extended arm" pose that is a weak attempt to making the fish appear bigger than it actually is when in fact in only makes it more difficult to appreciate the actual size. Any thoughts? Love the site by the way and its great so see so many people share info, ideas and pics.

Re: Fish Pics

I'll second that.....always thought it, but didn't want to be the first one to say it! You really can't see the true size of the fish.

Re: Re: Fish Pics

Sorry guys, no offense cause every ones has a right to their own opinion. But I think there are worse things in life to be concerned about. In my opinion the site is dedicated to "the fish" so hold out and hold them proud. Yes maybe it's alittle camera trickery but it really shows the true beauty in each fish. Not to mention most if not all pics posted tell the true length and wieght of the catch. One last point, as Fisherman you should know aren't most fish caught just alittle bigger when you share the story with others be it in words or picture.

big fish always look huge when held by short skinny guys, us larger more portly types need the advantage of the camera angle

Hold 'em out and smile! I totally agree -- let the pictures show the fish and let the posts give the data. This is the best board I'm on. The posts, the sharing of information and the cordial way even newbies are treated by the seasoned pros...this place is great. Let all the bass slayers critique each other and keep this board and the way things go just the way they are! Love that fish John S. ! Eric H.

Re: Re: Re: Fish Pics

I think holding the fish out helps bring more attention to the fish... which is the whole point of the picture, right? When you hold them near your body, your picture "frame" has to be wider to get you AND the fish in there. I think this brings more attention to the person and the surroundings than the fish. My opinion...
Like said above, most times the true weight and/or length are given... at least eventually. LOL

I've been sitting back all day not quite sure how to respond to you "complaint" as you called it, which I feel is directed towards grandaughters photo of my 6 pounder. I'll try and be friendly as that's what this board is all about. Please take my reply as constructive in some way.

I sent Adrien two photos, one holding it horizontal and the one he sent in, I left it to him to decide which to use as he is the expert when it comes to both fishing amd photos. My intention as I told him was to send the other photo to the "bragging board". He choose the one you don't like. True, my arm is fairly straight, and for the obvious reason, should we try to make our fish "look smaller" ?

At any rate I'm going to ask him to put up the other photo to show that the arm extension is not allways what you need to do to make a "big fish", in fact "look big". In the second photo you will notice my arms are bent, it's a closer up shot and the fish does look bigger than the other one you complained about, but she is/was a big fish.

Someone mentioned having a smaller person hold the fish to make it look bigger, well I weight 300+ pounds, no minnow for sure. If a fish looks big when I hold it, it is big, no matter how I hold it. Let's take it one step further, if I took the photo with him hanging on a tree, with my beautifull body nowhere in sight, how would you appreciate the actual size of the fish, as you put it in your post ?????? And what about Big Dave, surely if a fish looks big when he holds it, it is big, LOL. (9.5 pounds is a big fish, no matter how he held it)

I have been trying to catch a 6+ pound Salmon for 3 years, finally I did and your post sort of took the wind right out of my sail, for a few hours anyhow, I'm fine now..And planning on a bigger one(s) before the seasons over. On my Lake you work very hard to catch fish, fish of any size, fortunately there are lots of big ones to be caught if you do your homework and willing to put your time in as I do. When I catch a big one, I like to blow my own horn..

I'm realy not upset and hope I don't sound that way, as I realize where you are coming from, I have seen many photos of a smaller fish taken in an attempt to appear much larger than it realy is. But in most cases it's obvious just how big a fish realy is, no matter how the arm is bent.

I hope when you get a big one and take a photo you don't try to make your fish look smaller, be proud of it as I was..

Good luck, no offense, I had to respond to your post, it's not in my nature to look the other way.

I'll ask Adrien to post other photo, just for the sake of argument, I think it looks bigger, bent arms or not.

John S.
(Who's allways looking to catch a bigger one)

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

OK I have a complaint....after looking at many fish pics (certainly not limited to this site) I am getting a bit fustrated by the "extended arm" pose that is a weak attempt to making the fish appear bigger than it actually is when in fact in only makes it more difficult to appreciate the actual size. Any thoughts? Love the site by the way and its great so see so many people share info, ideas and pics.

It is not to make the fish look bigger, it is to make me look smaller. Ha ha.

Brian

Hey, Brian... you ARE still alive!?! Hadn't seen you post in quite a while. Hope all is well down your way?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Fish Pics

Still alive. The home improvement projects needed recharging so I can get my hall passes to get out more. I'll shoot you an email.

Brian

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fish Pics

I would Def. have to agree with John S. I too am also a big boy (Big boned i always say LOL Just more of me to love LOL) and there was absulutly no screwing around with the pic of my Laker He is the biggest I have ever caught and no bull it looked just like that, that thing had a belly almost as big as mine LOL If you want to see a picture that looks really decieving go the the links page on your left, click on the fish and game website go to fishing click on fishing information, scroll down and click on the picture of the little boy holding the fish it will show you some pictures of nice fish caught this year (Including my laker LOL) but look at the picture of the Salmon caught on Pleasant Lake it says it is 9 pounds something You take a good look at the photo and tell me honestly if that looks like a 9pound fish????? mine was 9 1/2 pounds and I'm sorry but it seems to Dwarf that fish??????? If that's a 9 pound salmon then the one i lost earlier in the season on Sampson's boat must have been an 11 pounder!!!!!! Just wanted to point out that not all pictures are as they seem!!!!!!!! Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines LOL Dave From up North P.S. I still love the Pic of my "MONSTER" LOL

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fish Pics

Dave, you got my curiosity up... I looked at that pic and upon first glance, I agreed it didn't look 9lbs. Then I went about it "scientifically" I measured the boys fingers and assuming his fingers were of average size, I came up with the fish being 27.25 inches long and 5.4 inches at the highest from stomach to back. Assuming his measurement of 17" girth was accurate that means that fish was just over 3" wide (on average) which would be more like 4" wide at the stomach and 2" at the back in actuality. That equals a nice fish... the weight is more than likely quite accurate.

Figured I'd bore you guys with the info I came up with during my 15 minutes of boredom...LOL

I think the fish is turned just a little and with the kids fingers blocking the view of the fish, it makes it look much smaller than it is. I would have guessed 5.5 to 6 lbs if asked just looking at that pic.

I was not giving a complaint, I was giving my opinion on how I take my pictures of fish. I personal like them waist up with fish vertical. I'm also a big guy, (6'4") but this is what I do. When I look at pics. anywhere with fish I compare to what's near them and it's hard to do if the fish is not on the same plane. Everyone to each their own. But not a complaint only an opinion. You guys and this board are great and I didn't mean to question any fish size, only something i've always thought growing up and looking at old fishing pics.

PS. John that's a hell of a fish but I did't even see the pic when I first posted the message!

Wow I had no idea my little message would cause such a stir. I had absolutely NO intent on pointing anyone out or offending anyone period. Please do not take my post in that regard as that was not my intent and apologize if I have offended some. I think I was actually looking at a SaltWater Sportsman or something and noticed a guy with a mahi stuck into the camera and had absolutely no sense of how large it was and have had similar experiences on this site as well. Only trying to point out the fact that it is hard to tell the true size of a fish when it is stuck in front of the camera. That being said if you want to extend your arms and put it out there by all means do it!
On another note had a great weekend fishing the lake this past Sat and Sunday morning. Was a great just being out there in the terrific weather and would have been happy with nothing and the 6+ salmon, tagged bow and several lakers were a huge plus. Ended up taking one salmon back to the barn for the grill and hope to be back out there again soon.
-tight lines

Some people are sensitive about certain things, some about others, how is anyone supposed to know. I said something that upset a good friend a little recently here on the board, never intentional, but I guess we all say something sometimes that others feel may be out of line. I was only up tight for a short moment and then everything was cool. Livened up the board a bit and got a few other opinions. I'm hoping my friends post the other photo, not to prove ay points, it's just an awsome fish and I'm proud as hell. Maybe it will make the bragging board ?

I guess the few negative post were not even in regards to my fish's photo, I jumped the gun.

Good luck to all,

John S.
(Who's looking for a 7 pounder)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Fish Pics

Hey Sampson, Mines still bigger then yours LOL You going on Saturday or what???????? Now that'll be a fun day!!!!!!!! i can't wait, might even go down to ame's earlier then when i went with Yo and sleep in the parking lot LOL Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines LOL Dave From up North

Without further ado... here's Johns fish in the horizontal position.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fish Pics

Thanks, I appreciate it.

John S.

Your **** right it's bigger, gives me something to shoot for, but I don't know if Squam has any babies like that, maybe.

I told Craig yes, but then I remembered I was supposed to fish with Popeye this weekend, no firm day was set however ? I'm hoping Popeye can fish Sunday and I'll go with you and Craig Saturday.

I may have a bed for you at the camp, have to find out if anyone (my kids, etc) coming and I'll get back to you, right now nobody is coming Friday night that I know of, so it's lookin good.. If nobody come there will be plenty of room, room for Amber too. Now I may be getting ahead of myself here, but maybe you can come down early and we will give Squam a try Friday night. Get up and head down to Winni in the morning. So I have to check with Popeye and my family before we can firm the whole plan up.

Hey Popeye, how about it, are we on for Sunday or Saturday, I did commit to you first, if you can't make it Sunday, I'll be OK for Saturday, or we can do it the following week.

One way or another looks like a good weekend coming up.

John S.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hey Sampson, Mines still bigger then yours LOL You going on Saturday or what???????? Now that'll be a fun day!!!!!!!! i can't wait, might even go down to ame's earlier then when i went with Yo and sleep in the parking lot LOL Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines LOL Dave From up North

john considering the timing of that post it would be hard for anyone not to think it was directed at them.being an addict of this site i was following the posts about your report that night when i read the complaint post i said to myself im not gonna touch this.anyway as impressive as that salmon is im much more impressed with the cool classy way you responded to the post.hope you hammer them the rest of the season and i look forward to seeing that seven pounder good luck rich

That 7 pounder fooled me on Sampson's boat once If he/she gives me the chance to catch him/her again on his boat it Def. Won't happen again LOL I can visualize that Silverback almost every time i close my eyes LOL But my sweet laker did soften the blow a little LOL Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines LOL Dave From up North P.S. Sounds good John, just let me know?????