Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Salty - vertical flashers

Salty and anyone else who's using or thinking of using vertical flashers - I just received my shipment in of 4 vertical flashers from Alan at A.J.s. They look so good my wife and little boy (4) wanted to hang them in his room as a mobile! LOL. (First time I used that LOL by the way). Question I have is I use rubber snubbers between my rigger cable and fish weight. Works great; surely saved me from losing the weight a bunch of times. Alan and I discussed just putting the verticals above the snubber. Not having tried this yet, and having less freeboard than your average fiberglass boat, I'm wondering what this is going to be like "on the water" -- after all I still need to handle the ball once and while. Have you tried snubbers yet and if so how did they work out when using the verticals?

Counting the minutes 'till I head up to Moosehead this weekend to try out all the new gear...Eric H.

Re: Salty - vertical flashers

Hi Eric, Leave a message on here for Sampson, He use's snubber's and i know he loves his!!!!! I think he uses horizontal blades but they seem to work good on his set-up I know i sure liked it and am waiting to get some snubber's for my buddy's boat!!!!!! Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines LOL Dave From up North

John Sampson - vertical flashers

Hey John S. - could you check my post above and give me some of your feedback. Thanks. Oh, and great fish AGAIN. Eric H.

Re: John Sampson - vertical flashers

I have used them for quite a while, I use them between the cable and the ball, my 48" Dave Davies spinners are off the rear of my ball wouldn't be without either.

But the verticle spinners are a total different set up, I suppose I would run the snubber between the cable and the blades, then the ball. I use them for making it easy on my hands when pulling in my rigger balls, the cable can be nasty to grab onto.

I have verticle spinners but a trip on Tarv's boat I switched to the Davies spinners (horizontal) Adrien, Salty etc, use the Verticles, many succesfull roads I suppose.

Good luck, either way I would muse the snubbers.

John S.

I run them on one rigger all the time as soon as the fish start heading down. (Thanks to Trav's input) Generally, I catch more fish off that rigger than any other. It is tough reaching out and down for the ball especially in rough water. I think the snubber will add to your problems. If you go with the snubber I would recommend wearing a leather glove to hold the cable with the other hand.

Re: Re: Salty - vertical flashers

Proline - I had a concern, hence the post. I'm going to have to either get creative or be careful (or both).

Eric, I haven't ordered snubbers yet. (keep forgeting) I guess my only suggestion would be to just try it and see. Should be ok though. Wish I could give you a definite answer.

Salty

Re: Re: Salty - vertical flashers

Does anyone know where I can find a picture of a vertical flasher? Is it a set of gang blades on trolling wire with each blade having it's own extension of wire (like a sabiki). Or is it a big blade with ball bearings on top and on bottom?

Very curious...

Chappy

www.chappysguide.com

Re: Re: Re: Salty - vertical flashers

Chappy - check out the "television broadcast" to the left with AJ and Travis. There is a few seconds in there when you can see it set up. The ones I got from Alan at AJs are mostly like you envision -- its strung on downrigger wire with 3 big old willow-leaf like reflectors each with its own short wire lead. This gets installed between the rigger cable and ball. My complication is I'm also using snubbers (saves the balls from being snagge and easier on the hands) and I was just wondering if anyone had used both snubbers AND verticals together.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Salty - vertical flashers

Eric... I run vertical AND horizontals on my riggers. The verticals, even without snubbers, prohibit me from reaching the ball with my hand. I have found the easiest thing to do is just grab under the bottom blade (where it attaches to the main cable) The beads there give me something to grab without my hand slipping and getting cut on the cable. I also use my other hand to lift the rigger boom at the same time, taking most of the weight that way. Pretty easy and I haven't got cut or pinched all season.

One other thing... If you haven't already, get some sort of release (Roemer or stackers) that go on the rigger cable ABOVE the flashers. This way you can leave the ball and flashers in the water (no tangles/no weight hitting the boat) while you reset your lines in the release. I still run a release off the rigger ball now and then, but I have had problems with the fishing line getting wrapped in the flashers while setting a couple times. Just another thing to consider.
Another plus of running the release above the flashers is that if you happen to bounce bottom with the weight, at least your lure may not get hooked up too. More likely your hooks would still be a couple feet above bottom.
Good luck... experiment and let us know what you find works best.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Salty - vertical flashers

Craig / slip - thanks for the input. I will indeed play around a bit. When I first posted on this (before talking to Alan at AJs and buying the verticals) I thought the verticals would attach to the rigger cable, not in line and in addition to the cable! A lot of stuff on the rigger wire! Before the verticals I set the "auto off" snap on my Canon Mag 10s such that the ball would stay in the water and I could just grab the snubber. I have been setting my release into one of the eye hooks on the "insulator" snap and that has worked pretty well. One thing I'm thinking of is putting the verticals right to the ball and putting the snubber in line between the rigger cable (and insulator) and the verticals. This way on retrieve the Mag 10 should stop with the verticals and ball in the water and the snubber at perfect hand-grab height. The snubber should still help prevent snags as it would be in between the force of the ball and pull of the rigger cable.

I'm also using horizontals...a technique I learned from either you, Popeye or another frequent poster. I'm putting pretty large dodgers right behind the ball to give a little jig-box motion. It works nicely. I also have "declawed" a few 3-4 inch flutter spoons to use as small attractors on the lines themselves. I also use some small attractors I made myself -- typically no longer than 4-5 in with 2 dakota blades and a few glow beads. Arts and crafts for adults!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Salty - vertical flashers

Good point, if you run Cannons the boom is fixed, does not lift up like Big Johns or some of the others out there ?

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Salty - vertical flashers

Ahhh yes... set boom... well your last idea (and Johns agreement to it) sounds like a good solution. Would be good if it will auto-stop with the flashers still in the water. That should almost aleviate any problems with fishing line possibly tangling in the flasher.
So, running the dodger behind the ball (definitely from Popeye)... does it still get good movement with the flashers attached above the ball? I'd think they would slow the movement down.
Sounds like, with all the flashing, spinning, dodging and shining you've got going on, the fish will be in a trance. If that doesn't get their attention, what will???
Catch 'em up on Moosehead!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Salty - vertical flashers

Eric- I run a Blacks release w/snap attached to the cable and then the verticle attached to the Blacks then the ball on end of the verticle. This works fine running the the lure 6 to 20 feet behind. On days when that setup is not working well a tricj=k I learned frm Popeye is to use a stacker 3 or 4 feet above the verticle spinners in stead of right close to them.