Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
evening fishing

I want to thank Al at AJ for all the advise last Friday. We went out Sunday morning and caught 8 salmon, 1 22" 3# and 7 lakers. Great advise. That new wobler worked great. Just wondering if anyone does evening fishing. We are going out Thursday evening and wondered if anything should cahnge. I am new to this site and am now hooked.

Re: evening fishing

Welcome to the site. Glad you had some good action.

Salty :o)

Been out several evenings myself lately. As long as you don't mind coming back to the ramps/docks in the dark, its almost as good as morning in my opinion. (Plus, I'm more awake... I'm not a morning person!) First times I went at night I picked up gear and headed to shore so I could trailer before dark. Now I fish til the last legal time and then pull lines, clean up and head for shore. That extra half hour to forty five minutes makes the difference.
Just remember the fish are doing the opposite of what they're doing in the morning... bring your lines up as it gets later. Been seeing fish as shallow as 20-25 feet late in the day. Its pretty neat to watch them on the fish finder coming up.
Good luck.

Re: Re: evening fishing

Thanks. I have that early morning problem as well. We will be sure to stay late enough.

I'd like to see more on this topic, sounds like allot of us may be missing the boat (or bite) here. I get to camp many times on a Friday about 3 or 4 and fool around a but on Little Squam, mostly small Bows if anything. Often I have thought about getting out to the big Lake and trying it, never have however.

Seems like a great time to fish, this be the begining of the bite vs the end of the bitre in the early AM. But then again, if Salmon are sight feeders maybe they do not eat that much or for that long at dusk ?????

I notice the guys at Sunapee and some of the Newfound guys fish allmost exclusively at dusk, etc.

IF anything it would give me a few more hours each weekend to get skunked or maybe catch allot of fish, who knows ??????

How about some more conversation on ths subject from those "in the know".

I'm going to give it a try this Friday night, what time do we have to sttop is it sunsent, 1/2 hour or an hour after, never bother to check it out, up til now no need in my case ????

Thanks,

John S.

Re: Re: evening fishing

John you can fish for one hour before sunrise and two hours after sunset. fishing that time of day is in my opinion great. it's peacefull most of the boats have stopped stirring up the water and maybe the fish start heading back up to the surface to see what has been stirred up (just a guess) we seem to catch the rainbows more at that time. the only thing I find about fishing that time is, living in MA I don't get home until after midnight so it ruins the next day. good luck on on Friday if you go

Re: Re: Re: evening fishing

Last Saturday on Newfound we had a great bite from 2p-4p, big rainbows and togue.
Couldn't keep up with 4 rods had to drop back to just 2 and had constant doubles.
In that time frame we started at 55' and fininshed catching them at 38'
We quit at 4 and left them biting.

Dean

Re: Re: Re: Re: evening fishing

I dream of a day like that, big fish are great, plenty of action now and then would be a treat. Newf sounds like it's having a good season so far, but me with no trailer, I'm stuck on Squam. But as Popeye says, "it's not a bad place to be stuck at".

Maybe a whole different story with late day fishing.

My normal routine is up at 3:30, fish from 5 am til 11 or 12, go back and take the family, grandkids, etc. out all afternoon, by 5:00 I'm pretty beat up, fishing is not much of an attractive option at that time of day. But certainly Friday night or when ever we get up for the weekend would be a good possibility, I'm going to give it a shot.

Should we stay until the last gong ????

John S.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Last Saturday on Newfound we had a great bite from 2p-4p, big rainbows and togue.
Couldn't keep up with 4 rods had to drop back to just 2 and had constant doubles.
In that time frame we started at 55' and fininshed catching them at 38'
We quit at 4 and left them biting.

Dean

Re: Re: Re: evening fishing

Thanks for the info on times.
Guess it's a catch 22, we have a camp there now so I don't have to make the early morning treck and back again that afternoon.

Perhaps after my summer crowd backs off a bit you can come up, fish with me at dusk, etc. stay over at my place and fish the next morning too.

Where in Mass do you live ??? There aren't many flatlanders on this board, I don't even buy a Mass license anymore.

This question is for anyone, do you find the bite continues up to knock off time or does it die after shortly after dusk, must be retty dark 2 hiyrs after sunset ??? Looks like I'll have to rig up some lights.

Thanks again,

John S.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

John you can fish for one hour before sunrise and two hours after sunset. fishing that time of day is in my opinion great. it's peacefull most of the boats have stopped stirring up the water and maybe the fish start heading back up to the surface to see what has been stirred up (just a guess) we seem to catch the rainbows more at that time. the only thing I find about fishing that time is, living in MA I don't get home until after midnight so it ruins the next day. good luck on on Friday if you go

Re: Re: Re: Re: evening fishing

I hail from Haverhill. and like you I don't buy my Ma licenses either.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: evening fishing

Hey fellas,
I didn't know that fish had a time limit of feeding.
Mornings are the best, by far, for 99% of the time. But evening fishing when it cools off is also hot.
When fishing all the derby's that I do, I neve come off the water until well after dark. I have caught some really nice fish late afternnon, dusk. Ontario is a good example also. We keep right into the kings right up until its dark. You need to use the whites/glows when it gets that way, but evening fishing has been very very good to me......

Popeye

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: evening fishing

Until I starting coming to this board and learning from all you early-bird special pros, a lot of my best fishing has been late afternoon - dusk. Some guys who fish for trout down in reservoirs down here in NY are almost exclusive dusk-dark guys.

Like many, if not most people, getting up at 4 am or earlier is a little unatural and takes effort. But the results I get have made it worth the effort and I do enjoy "waking up on the water."

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: evening fishing

Like Popeye said they are not limited to what times they eat so when I'm fortunate enough to have a whole day and they aren't on the feed first thing then I leave them and do other things (lunch, swim, fish for perch...something) and then try them again later on.......sooner or later they'll get hungry.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: evening fishing

im over in methuen ma on forrest lake, i still get my liscense. my house is the camp over my right shoulder with the rock foundation. i still find it fun to get out the 3 wt bamboo and see what they been putting in the lake : )