Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
newfound report

fished last night with my brother slimy sculpin. we got 3 lakers 4 rainbows and 5 dropped fish in 2 hours. anything blue was hot. all small lakers but the rainbows were pretty good size. one my brother got was 24.5" 5.1lbs. all the dropped fished were on my lead core blue/white copper back top gun. fishing 35' to 46' deep in 100' fow fishin the bait again fish stacked up in the thermocline. will be out tonight

Re: newfound report

WOW, that's some Rainbow, did you get a photo ??? We don't get many Bows on Squam and never ever any of that caliber. They put em in but we (locals and I) think many scoot out the Squam river, especially this year with all the high water.

We were catching allot of short Bows earlier, now none.

Looks like dusk to dark fishing was good fopr you, going to give it a try Friday night.

Do you (anyone) think as they are sight feeders that they will bite much after sunset ? Bass can/do feed all night no matter what the light or water clarity is.

John S.

Re: Re: newfound report

yes we got some photo's had to keep it it was bleeding badly it ripped its own gills out i have not got to many bows lately but things have changed the thermocline has set up pretty good also goin 2.4 2.6mph a little faster then normal. full moon last night too. but yes i think they feed all night as well as salmon i don't think rainbows ever stop eating i will try to get a picture on today will be out again tonight for the full moon channel 69

Re: Re: Re: newfound report

The day after a full moon is normally slow, maybe because they eat all night, duh. So maybe we can turn slow fishing into good fishing by taking advantage of the full moon like you do.

I was allways under the impression as Salmon are "sight feeders" the bite would stop after dark or close to dark. Also I thought we had to stop like 1 hour after sunset instead of 2 hours.

Guess I'll look for a good lantern today as my eye sight aint that great anymore, even in full sun, let alone dark. LOL.

Thanks for the quick reply, been to Squam lately ?

Johh S.

Re: Re: Re: Re: newfound report

John S - maybe we can elicit a comment from some of the real pros, but from what I've read the various salmonids have different feeding habits. Lakers are supposedly mostly day time feeders. I've heard the same about 'bows but clearly they are active at the times Laker Taker is fishing. Browns are notorious night feeders and first light / dusk. Browns are in the same genus as the Atlantic Salmon, and not being allowed to fish for Salmon at night can't say if they are exactly the same, but the fact that they are most active at first light / dusk may indicate they light to feed at night too. Don't know about brookies, though the only ones I've caught have been during the day / mid am. Maybe John Viar or one of the guides could elaborate on some of this...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: newfound report

Hey John, What do you need a lantern for I've seen your light on the boat kind of looks like a floating car LOL I've been spoiled going on all my buddies boats with their sweet GPS fishfinders and all Wow!!!!!!!! when i get my own boat that is one of the first things I'm buying that way i won't beach myself in the fog like during the derby LOL Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines LOL Dave From up North

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: newfound report

I could use a little more light in front where all the action takes place, or is supposed to, but flashlight will do in a pinch.

GPS may be more important than the fish finder, I use my GPS trails to stay out of shallow ledges and stay in the deep, works great as long as you keep an eye on the GPS. And of course my trails back and forth to the dock and the whole lake for that matter, I never worry about where I am on the Lake. You know, you've seen my trails and way points, etc.

May be a snag on the overnight, my 3 grandaughters may be up as David (my son) and wife are going to the Red Sox game and then coming up sometime Saturday, so the 3 gilrs were maybe coming up with my wife Friday night.

I really wanted to fish Friday night, I'll let ya know as soon as I find out for sure ???? Be nice if we could do the night thing, but sleeping in a truck s----.

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: newfound report

LOL No problem John it's not that big a deal if we can't do the night thing on fri. we can always do it another time, sleeping in the truck doesn't bother me either I was pretty proud of myself when i went with Adrian, didn't get no sleep the night before and left the house at 1:30A.M. because i wasn't quite sure where Ames Farm was I beat everyone there including Adrian and Slipknot LOL I"m bringing Amber and her Friend to Santa's Village tommorrow for the day anyhow, It helps when your related to Santa Claus and he can get you in Free LOL Plus he brings some nice presents on christmas LOL Talk Soon Can't Wait for Saturday Woooo Hoooo Going Fishing Yippeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines LOL DAve From up North