Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Handheld VHF Radio

Hi All

I am looking to buy a handheld VHF radio. Any recommendations from your experience?

Thanks!

Smitty

Re: Handheld VHF Radio

If you got the room get a regular Radio, From my experience the handhelds don't work as good, Just my 2 cents though!!!!!! Take CAre God Bless and Tight Lines LOL Dave From up North

Re: Re: Handheld VHF Radio

I got one from Bliss Marine, the best they had, cost 200.00, allmost threw it overboard, power is 1watt to 5 watt (L-M or -H)

Works OK on 1 watt for people within eye sight, on 5 watts people from 8 or 10 miles can hear you (but you can't realy talk with them) but those close can't hera you, radio breaks up.

A hard wired 25W radio can be bought for 100.00 or less and an 8' Shakespear antenna can be bought for about 100.00.

Save your money, same price, one works the other doesn't.

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Handheld VHF Radio

If your trying to hear with Big Dave, you don't need a radio to hear him just fine..

John S.

Re: Handheld VHF Radio

DON'T

Re: Re: Handheld VHF Radio

Yeah Us Big Dumb Frenchman have Big Mouths LOL Travis could be in Cntr. Harbor and me down by the broads and i bet if i yelled loud enough he could hear me LOL Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines LOL Dave From up North Hey John How'd ya do after i talked with ya on Sun. ????? we pretty much got blown off of the water again around 12:30 almost as bad as on Sat. needless to say i got alot wetter on Rob's boat then slipknots LOL

Dave, did you guys catch many fish?

As far as the radio... yeah, go with the fixed unit. My 8' antenna, bought locally, was only 75 bucks and it has great range. While on Winni, I've talked to Squam and Winnisquam. And vice-versa.

Don't ask, but I might be buying a trailer.

I had a dumb (I'm 1/2 French) idea of buying a boat, all rigged up, with a partner, keeping it on Winni, then I realized it might be cheaper to buy a railer and haul it 6 miles from Squam when I needed a fix.

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Handheld VHF Radio

Ummm... yeah, I'd say so. Pretty hard to find a "partner" for something like that too. At least one that you could maintain user times and such with.

Have fun trailer shopping.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Handheld VHF Radio

I'm sure it will be a snap find ig a trailer, if I want to spend the big bucks, but at this stage of the year I need a bargain.

With a trailer, I can store it meself, put it in and out if it needs some minor work without paying the marina 75.00 an hour to take it out, then fix something I could do in 5 minuets, etc. Could pay for itself in a couple of seasons.

Oh and I allmost forgot, fish Winni, Newfound and any other area Lake as I please, when I please and a host of other reasons not listed. And of course back into the LOTG at the end of day for a shot at a monster on the weekends.

Can't think of one good reason to buy a boat, good thing I'm only 1/2 French/Indian. If I was all Italian maybe I would have had a trailer last year, LOL.

John S.
"soon to be un-landlocked from Squam and on the prowl"

Re: Re: Re: Re: Handheld VHF Radio

john,
BRING IT, would be good to meet the big papi of squam someday on the lake and the crew you fish with!

ilucas

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Handheld VHF Radio

I'll be there sooner than we all think.

Since made that post, I've rationaized a bit more, came up with more good reasons in favor and I would be crazy to "not buy" a trailer, even spring for a new one. It would pay for itself in two seasons or less and if I gased up twice a week (out and in) when I have it out, it could pay for itself in maybe one season.

Hope I can put it all together before this seasons out.

Anyone out there no where I might get a deal on one, new or used, it's for a 26' Pontoon boat, I imagine they are all the same. They have two types, not sure which is better ???????? I'll look into it more this weekend when up the Lake, maybe take one out for a test ride Monday to Winni, LOL.

When this French/Indian/Ginny (Italian) as they used to call me that when I was a kid, makes up his mind, it's a done deal, even my wife knows better than to try talk me out of it..

John S.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

john,
BRING IT, would be good to meet the big papi of squam someday on the lake and the crew you fish with!

ilucas

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Handheld VHF Radio

Try Green's Marine in Hooksett, they have good prices, give them the make, model and year.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Handheld VHF Radio

Hey John didn't i send ya an email awhile back with the name of a place that sells trailers new/used??????? I'll see if i can find it again, and your right if you were able to fill up at a reg. gas station instead of a marina you'd save a crapload of money!!!!! Let me know if ya need a passenger and captain on Winni LOL Just keep me away from the comfortable couch and we'll be all set LOL Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines LOL Dave From up North

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Handheld VHF Radio

I don't remember that place, see if you can find it. Your welcome anytime, on any Lake, just talk softly when I'm trying untangle a cluster in "rough seas", I allomst jumped out of my shoes the other day when you hollered something out to me, LOL. One other thing, leave the oatmeal cookies home, I'm back on my diet big time.

Raining big time down here today so I may have a chance to look into the trailer situtation.

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Handheld VHF Radio

john,
check out atlantic boat and trailer, 207 439 8888
kittery me. can't beat their prices, don't know if they pontoons in stock, but when i bought my boat they had the best pricing on trailers, without a doubt, good luck

ilucas

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Handheld VHF Radio

Thanks, I'l give em a call. Sh----/rainy day, I should be fishin, oh well.

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Handheld VHF Radio

Ill try and talk softer LOL and if memory serves me correctly YOU brought the "Box" of oatmeal creampies this time LOL But Darn they are good though LOL Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines LOL Dave From up North P.S. I'll see if i can find it again and email ya!!!!!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Handheld VHF Radio

Hey there John It was Winnisquammarine.com if im not mistaken they sell both new and used trailers, theres also a number in the state paper that I'll see if i can find again for ya!!!!!!! Take CAre God Bless and Tight Lines LOL Dave From up North

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Handheld VHF Radio

Thanks, I e mailed them. How did we go from hand helds to boat trailers under this heading ????

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Handheld VHF Radio

I have no idea LOL My frenchmanitis must be rubbing off on ya LOL Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines LOL Dave From up North