Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: John Who's Landlocked on Squam

Make sure you've got a really good fishfinder that tells you the true depth, otherwise it could prove to be an expensive trip!!!!!!!!! John will get back to you he's probably working right now I've been trying to reach him all morning so he's probably on the road!!!!!!! Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines LOL Dave From up North P.S. Hey Joe you ever fished that Big Dan Hole pond???????? i think that's over towards your way in ossipee??????

Re: Re: John Who's Landlocked on Squam

I fished it a few weeks ago. What a journey it was to get to it. Hilly dirt roads. Oval and Deep. Over 120 feet and only a mile long maybe. Never got a hit, but I hear they pull some lakers over 10 lbs through the ice every year.

Re: John Who's Landlocked on Squam

Joe,

I think it's a ride from Ossipee, but.

Exit 24 off 93. follow rt 3 south to Holderness, before you cross the bridge, take a left at Holderness General Store, ramp is on right, great parking right accross the street, state ramp, nice one too and free.

Or from Meridith stay on Rt 3 north, cross the bridge in Holderness and take 1st right, ramp is on left.

Now here's the scoop, when you have Church Island (Chocora) on your left, head straight out towards Deephaven, stay way to the left (not too far to get into shallower water) of the small island (a few hundred yards in front to your right) and try to stay on the left hand edge on the shelf, 80 to 90+ feet, right edge is good too but can be tricky. The 1st 200/300 yards have had all my biggest fish this season, including Walter that eluded my net yesterday. Troll all the way to Deephaven until the water gets back to 70' turn around and head back to Church. There are a few other spots, but this is the best and biggest area to fish right now. Off Kent Island to Sandwich Bay can be good now, but not as deep and can be tricky if trolling deeper than 30', other deep holes are small and have never been productive for me, but I don't fish them much either.

Fish 1st light, small streamers work best right now, 6 to 8 colors (or 32 to 42 feet, maybe as deep as 52') best bite is before 9:00, after that switch to hardware, go home or take a boat ride.

There are some monsters in there, lots of them, I leave them there every week. You wont believe your fish finder at 1st light, getting them to bite can be a slight problem, what an under-statement that was. Not for the weak and impatient, a real tough Lake, but has it's rewards for the die hards.

Beautifull lake however, I think one of te prettiest but I'm predijuced, get a map, refer to it when in doubt, not as dangerous as everyone says.

Good luck, let me know how you make out??? Good week to fish there (or anywhere) new moon and all, I'll be there Wednesday me-self.

A guy "Tom O" (use the board) from Michigan will be out here this sweek in a rented Pontoon boat, no radio however, I use 68 when on Squam.

John S.
"Who's SOON to be un-locked from Squam"

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

John,
I'll be up at Ossipee on Wed-Sun and want to fish Squam. Where do you suggest I put my boat in?. I've never fished it before. Any tips on where to troll? E-mail me if you'd like. Thanks. Joe G

Re: Re: John Who's Landlocked on Squam

This is very generous of you to give me such good info. I really appreciate it. I will be in a 16.5 ft Sea Nymph with a 15hp Johnson either Sat, Sun, or Mon morning. I'll look for your pontoon. Joe G

Re: Re: Re: John Who's Landlocked on Squam

No secrets on Squam, if ya dare, LOL.

I would be happy see some caught, even if it's someone else doin the catchin. It's no race or Derby on Squam, for me it's just fun, sometimes.

Good luck, I'll most likely be out there Saturday, Sunday maybe I'll be on Winni ????????

John S.