Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
leader question

ive used 6lb test about 14 ft but after catching even one fish the leader looks like hell its curly and kinked mainly right where the line hit the last guide.my question is should i use a shorter leader.has any one tried using spider wire instead of mono the smallest dia. is equal to 2lb mono

Re: leader question

Is this leader on down rigger rod or lead core? Either way it sounds like a poor swivel. ( If it's on a dr rod it's probably too long)

Salty

Re: Re: leader question

On my leadcore set-up I only run the length of the rod for leader, using a #14 bbswivel tyed from my mono to the leader, I've not run into that problem only if i have a diffective swivel and i use 10# yozuri hybrid flurocarbon for my leader and i love the stuff really strong or should i say i haven't had any problems with it But then again What do i know I still consider myself a "Rookie that's getting better LOL" Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines LOL Dave From up North

Re: Re: Re: leader question

these are on dr rods i use eagle claw swivels #14 the brass ones are they junk? I buy them cause they will fit into the reel.im guessing i should shorten up to 6-7 ft and buy a higher quality swivel.thanks for the help

Re: Re: Re: Re: leader question

Them's the one's i use LOL and when they don't have any BB swivels in stock I'll buy the regular clip swivels and cut the clips off with a small pair of cutting pliers (Frenchman way of doing something LOL but it works LOL) Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines LOL Dave From up North P.S. I haven't had any problems with them all season!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: leader question

ibooked a cabin on winni for the fitst two weeks of sep im going to expirement with spider wire leader im going to color it blue with a sharpie.i switched to spider wire when it came out and never planned to use mono again that was bass fishing though. i still use it with the just a mono leader.