Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
where have all the hunting spot's GONE????

I have four spot's that i have been hunting.fot the last ten years.harvested a deer every year.from one of these 4 spots.well i went out on sunday.to my favorite spot.got in the wood's 5 am walked to my stand.and instead what did i find.a brand new road where my stand once stood.very unhappy about the situation. see i was very busy this year did not have time to scout.but i figured every thing would still be the same.i figured wrong??decided to check all my other spot's on monday.just to be sure every thing was o.k. well it wasn't!!! wouldn't you know.all of my spot's now have house on them??? not only do i not have any hunting spot's.but they took all 4 stand's?? so to all you hunter's do your self a favor check your site's before you go out this year.i wish i did.. good luck god bless.be safe. JOE....

Re: where have all the hunting spot's GONE????

Know the problem all to well down here in Mass! Every other a year or so it is a battle to find new spots because they build up on the old ones. Just when you get a spot figured out, bam its gone. I take all my stands out after each season because I know 1/2 the spots will be gone.

Re: where have all the hunting spot's GONE????

To all sportsmen---support the Current Use Assesment program in NH. This allows farmers and other landowners (over 10 acre parcels) to have their properties assessed as they are currently used (forests, agriculture, etc.) Thus their taxes are lower than if the land was assessed as house lots. This enables farmers and landowners to keep their land and thus you get to hunt and fish in most cases.
Each year legislators (usually from urban areas) try to do away with this great program to bring more tax revenue to their city coffers. But this is a short term revenue that forces landowners to sell lots and grow houses which of course has been proven to cost more in the end. Increased services, schools, infrastructure, etc. result and the hunter can't find his deer stands and the fisherman finds a no trespassing sign near the brook he used to fish.
So the next time you get a chance to talk with your legislator (especially if you live in an urban area) let them know you value Current Use Assessment.
OK I'll step down from my soap box now.
Cal

Re: Re: where have all the hunting spot's GONE????

Whitecap makes great point that we all should support.

Re: Re: Re: where have all the hunting spot's GONE????

I know what you mean about hunting spots...one of our favorites was the ledges @ Rum Point, Alton, the place was a fur pocket! It has has now been transformed, blasted, a large vernal pond filled and mega McMansions put up...(3) of our other favorite spots have also been developed...IMO one of the biggest problems facing hunters is no more access! Frankly I don't care to hunt the "Great North Woods"...We need more access for both hunting and fishing!