Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
An unforgetable opening day!!!!

Perfect weather leads to the perfect day. Lena and I started in the woods at 6:30am. She dropped me off 1/2 mile away. The plan was to hopefully push a deer her way. Last year, on the last day, this had worked but she couldn't get the shot off. We did put up a camera and had a nice picture of the buck she had seen. This year the camera was stolen early in July.
After being in the woods about 20 minutes, I heard a shot. Called Lena, she said she had just shot at a deer running and was not sure if she had hit it. She told me the deer was heading for the swamp, I told her to look for blood. We talk a few minutes later and no blood. Twenty minutes later I'm still working my way towards Lena. All of a sudden I see brown moving at a good speed coming my way. Best of all, it had horns. I had to wait till the buck took a couple of steps because of the dense whips. I shot; the deer jumped and took off in a full run. I was able to shot two more times. The deer was still headed away, so I shot again. The 1st shot hit the top of the heart, the next two were 15 and 24 inches back. The results are 8 points, 221 1/4lbs. The rack got hit by my 4th shot and is almost broken, it should score around 137-142 inches, the inside is 21 1/2 and the outside spread is 24" wide.
Not done yet. On our way to work this afternoon we see a deer in the woods. We turn the vehicle around, go home, to pick up Lena's rifle. We return 2 1/2 miles and the deer is still there. Lena gets out runs into the woods, loads up, aims, shoots, and missed, a branch fell in front of the deer. While trying to reload, her gun jams, she finally gets the bolt forward, shots and hit the deer this time. The deer went 15 yards and layed down, she then put another shot into it. This ended up being a smaller doe, but what a great and unforgetable day,

Re: An unforgetable opening day!!!!

congratulations on your double!!
Sounds like a really exciting day!!!
That is a heavy Deer for NH, really awesome!

I am still working on stuff on the farm and i havn't hunted 4 seconds yet all year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But i sure am glad to hear other people's success stories! Keep them coming everybody!

Re: Re: An unforgetable opening day!!!!

Congrats Roland and Lena!!!
When do we get to see pics of the double?!

Re: Re: Re: An unforgetable opening day!!!!

Hopefully tonight, Lena is going to try sending them. Dial-up sucks.
Roland

Re: Re: Re: Re: An unforgetable opening day!!!!

Roland ...are you going to put your latest trophy on the wall?
If so give Joe Cilley of Belmont a try as I am very happy with the job he did for me. I know you have had a bad experience as I have had in the past and Jay recommended him to me last year and I am glad he did!
Good Luck!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: An unforgetable opening day!!!!

Hi Bob, yes this one will be going on the wall. It's not the biggest rack I've shot but its my heavest deer so far. Thanks for the information. We had problems sending the pictures, we will try later tonight or in the morning to send it to Adrien's e-mail. Hopefully he can post them. Good luck on you and Travis on your trips. Talk to you when you get back. Roland