(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Idaho Bound

The peak is different, for different areas. For me, and where I hunt;
In Idaho I have shot all my bucks between the the 15th and 23rd. All were breeding.
Here, in my neck of the woods, I have shot all my 3 1/2 and bigger from the 15th to the 1 of December. 99.9% came from rattling/tinks/breeding, the .1% came from stalking/craping across them. I had gone 17 years straight with a rack or 2, and even on occasion 3, up until 2004 when I hit a real giant on Dec 1st and got away from me. I stoped hunting for the rest of the year.
All dates/times/weather/rut activity/ stuff like that I been logging down since the early 80s, so I think I got it nailed pretty good here, and there where I hunt.
I saw a few scrapes a couple weeks ago, that got hit once, that was it. I call that the wanta be's.... Oh sure some are made be truly giants, but the big boys, where I hunt, don't start getting close to the does until the end of next week. I guess that I got maybe 30 breeders (does) just on the one hill. Different doe familys come into cycle same time, different year. Its all in the matter of about a week, and the moon and all the other hoopla have lots to do with it, hence the about 10 days of primo activity.

Some true giants are shot early each year, some all rutted up, just like Rolands. But the bucks got to get ready before the does come ready. This is the week I most offten find my primary scrapes/trees all narled up.
Most of the bigger bucks, 4 1/2 to 6 1/2 come thanksgiving week, for here anyway.

He wanted the coyote, practicing on the rack.
I shot a rabbit a couple years ago in the stand beside the one you sat in. 20 minutes after I got into the stand. I shot a turkey an hour later. At dusk, I missed a good buck at 20 yards, and it didn't really even look close!.
Good luck, I'm bringing the portable blind/tripod and camera to maybe do some filming but will have to see how things go.
The 9 pointer this guy got was loaded up on the bark.

Popeye

Re: Re: Re: Idaho Bound

Makes sense... that explains why all the bucks I've seen (except the one Mike shot at) were smaller bucks. They must be the "wannabees" you are refering to. Now that you mention it, I hadn't seen much for rubs... So apparently I AM seeing pre-rut activity and not full blown activity from the big boys. That makes me feel better... I now know it can and will get even better. This is the first year in a long while that I haven't filled my tag during muzzleloader season. So, hunting the rut is actually new to me, believe it or not.

However, in PA I am pretty sure I was seeing the rut starting last week. Every buck I saw had a huge neck and we saw at least one or two bucks a day chasing does. The scrapes were clear and rubs (on 4-8" diameter trees!) were very fresh (green).

I'll keep my eyes open and see what I learn the next couple weeks. Thanks.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Idaho Bound

I would def. have to agree with Popeye, Up North here the week of the teens is usuallly when the rutt hits peak activitiy not sure why but so far all the does we've found and not a buck in sight for some reason i think (maybe weather) couple of unusually Hot days up north here they seem to be a couple of days behind normal the next week and 1/2 should be fun Hopefully the monster comes and says HI to my 32 special Wooo Hooo I can already taste venison LOL My little nephew had a 4 pointer almost run him over the other night on the tracks LOL He said Uncle Dave i didn't even have a chance to take my safety off LOL Needless to say i think we've all been there before LMAO Take Care God Bless and Good Hunting P.S. Have a Great Trip Popeye!!!!!!! LOL Dave From up North

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Idaho Bound

Thanks fellas....I'm off to the airport.
Another tid-bit Craig;
The reason why you don't see that many now here is because they are still running all at night. When the does get ready, the big boys will run all day, chasing. Those are the days to be in the bottoms and transitions all day, as the does will run back and forth in them all day being chased by MR. Mossy Horn....They use the does for thier wanrnings and don't give a crap about anything else other than........
Good luck
snipe/tinks/rattle/eat well.

Popeye

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Idaho Bound

Hey Dave,

Better get a big one, all I have to eat is hamburg, better save me some, maybe good to cook a few steaks on the Barge come Derby time ????

John S.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I would def. have to agree with Popeye, Up North here the week of the teens is usuallly when the rutt hits peak activitiy not sure why but so far all the does we've found and not a buck in sight for some reason i think (maybe weather) couple of unusually Hot days up north here they seem to be a couple of days behind normal the next week and 1/2 should be fun Hopefully the monster comes and says HI to my 32 special Wooo Hooo I can already taste venison LOL My little nephew had a 4 pointer almost run him over the other night on the tracks LOL He said Uncle Dave i didn't even have a chance to take my safety off LOL Needless to say i think we've all been there before LMAO Take Care God Bless and Good Hunting P.S. Have a Great Trip Popeye!!!!!!! LOL Dave From up North

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Idaho Bound

WEll ya better put the BBQ grill back on the barge LOL we can anchor and stuff our faces while trying to nail a huge laker LMAO I'll be there for the derby on Sat. and Sunday, Unfortunatly graduation fall on that friday and being the senate president i have to give a speech (UGHHHHHHH) before the whole student body With my big mouth i won't even need the microphone LMAO Take Care God Bless and Dream of 4/1/07 LOL Dave From up North (One of the Proud "AMIGOS")

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Idaho Bound

Sounds like a plan.

John S.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

WEll ya better put the BBQ grill back on the barge LOL we can anchor and stuff our faces while trying to nail a huge laker LMAO I'll be there for the derby on Sat. and Sunday, Unfortunatly graduation fall on that friday and being the senate president i have to give a speech (UGHHHHHHH) before the whole student body With my big mouth i won't even need the microphone LMAO Take Care God Bless and Dream of 4/1/07 LOL Dave From up North (One of the Proud "AMIGOS")