Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Downrigger Temp/Speed Probe

I use a subtroll 900 which I bought for lake ontario. I Take it off when I return from ontario in te fall due to the fact I really do not need it for the spring fishing at winni. I end up putting it back on mid summer to follow the thermocline and have it ready for the ontario trip I take each fall. As far as blow back I just use a 12 Lb pancake weight and have no issues.

Charlie

Re: Downrigger Temp/Speed Probe

Did you modify the way the SNT is connected to the downrigger cable? I did a modification that was similar to Maniac’s and love it.

Re: Re: Downrigger Temp/Speed Probe

i have a fish hawk 840, but started having problems w/ it registering last 2 times out. used it in the summer on sebago and it worked great.

ilucas

Re: Re: Re: Downrigger Temp/Speed Probe

Ilucas the fish hawk has been around for a long time.What I liked about the hawk is the size of the probe it's very small.Back in ths days Ray Jeferson made a temp probe that used a transducer also for the signal.I owned one but the probe was HUGE If my memory is correct One of my probes is sitting on the bottom some where around 5 mile island.The Hawks are still popular out in Lake Ontario.If the unit dies on you take a look at the Depth Raider unit very nice unit uses the cable for the singnal just like Sub Troll and Cannon.Thanks for the reply.

Erin

Re: Re: Downrigger Temp/Speed Probe

Gray Ghost Eric made me a plate just like his and mailed it to me.He is a really nice guy and know his stuff for fishing Ontario.I use it all the time.I love the fact that I can take it off and not damage the cable.I also replaced the cable that came with the unit and replaced it with 150 lb coated cable I was going to go with the 200 lb coated cable but with the plate I feel safer that I won't lose the probe.Do you know Eric(Maniac)?He fishes out of I belive the oak area.Do you head out to ontario alot?It must be a haul for you if your coming from up north.Small world for being so far away from everyone.That's what is great about this site.The reason I was asking about the probes is to see if any one in the winni run the Depth Raider probe.If I ever lose my Cannon probe I am going to get the Depth Raider probe.I had both the cannon and raider in my hand and went with the SNT because the raider was too new.but my SNT work great.Well I could talk about Fishing all day but I don't want to take up any more of your time.Thanks for the reply.

Charlie where do you fish out of in the fall?I fish out of Fair Haven Summer and fall.

Erin

I go out from Henderson Harbor, Henchens fishing camps. We do very well out in the trench Area. I am thinking of trying a different area in the near future. The new ownership at henchens is a little screwed up. The old owners Bob and Diane Gamble were great people to deal with plus they knew me very well from fishing there for the past 10+ years.

Charlie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Downrigger Temp/Speed Probe

Chalie,
I have a good friend name Rich that fishes up there and also owns a camp near the black river.I'm going to fish the Bar next May they had an awsome spring and summer out there,they were getting 30 to 40 hits a day out there.I'm like you I have fished out of the Oswego,Fair Haven area for over 20 years.This year we had to fish down around 130 feet to get 50 deg.water It gets tiring after a while there is so much slack in the line we had lost a few fish because you couldn't get the extra line in fast enough so I'm heading west Here is a web site for out there.Its a great site for info he updates it every day during fishing season.
http://www.attheoak.com/fishrpt.html
They only fish down to 70 feet in the summer.It's a longer ride but you get less blow days than out in the Mexico area.I can only swing to go out there once or twice a year so I want to catch fish When I go out there.I did 27 fish this summer so I had a good summer.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Downrigger Temp/Speed Probe

Excellent web site. I saved it to my favorites thanks for the info.

Charlie

I started out with Eric’s design but didn't like having the clips in front of the speed wheel, so attached the wire directly to the plate with a clip at the end of the wire that goes to the ball.

This year, I want to get out to the western part for some spring fishing, done Sodus several times in the past; for the fall run, I fish Mexico Bay, never fish in the summer. Live in southern NH, it's a 360 to 500 miles depending on the destination, when your having fun, and fishing is fun sacrifices will be made, it's no difference then getting up at 3 AM or before for a day on Winni

Re: Re: Re: Re: Downrigger Temp/Speed Probe

I agree with you about the clips in front of the wheel.I Tied 130 lb cable on my plate to the ball but there is still a difference in the speed I'm thinking next year of using dacron line.I had Jeff from Fish 307 send me some 130 Dacron stuff I'm going to tie it on just like you would tie on a lure at the plate then to the ball I would rather lose the ball than the probe you know?I posted a site in one of my posts that might help you out for the western end of the lake it's also 325 miles to Fair Haven for me it would be an extra 1.5 to 2 hours to hit the Oak aera but like you said it something we have to do.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Downrigger Temp/Speed Probe

I've been thinking about going out there (anywhere)for years on a charter maybe. Someday I hope, my boat can't go that far from home. Too much work to get er ready for that long a trip, from Squam to Winni can be an adventure for the Barge as some of you may know, LOL....

John S.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I agree with you about the clips in front of the wheel.I Tied 130 lb cable on my plate to the ball but there is still a difference in the speed I'm thinking next year of using dacron line.I had Jeff from Fish 307 send me some 130 Dacron stuff I'm going to tie it on just like you would tie on a lure at the plate then to the ball I would rather lose the ball than the probe you know?I posted a site in one of my posts that might help you out for the western end of the lake it's also 325 miles to Fair Haven for me it would be an extra 1.5 to 2 hours to hit the Oak aera but like you said it something we have to do.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Downrigger Temp/Speed Probe

I guess the subject was speed/temp probes and I replied about Ontario, duh.

I use the Moor Sub Troll, actually I've had 3 of them I think, they are all on the bottom of Squam. I currently don't have one, lost my last one early Septembe, decided to wait to replace it..

I like the idea of the wireless one like a well known guide on Winni uses, but I forgot the name of it, they advertise as "the one that works". At any rate I swore next time I had to replace my probe I would upgrade to the "wireless one, that works". But when I look up the cost of the replacement probe (with cable) I think it's like 169.00 Vs about 600.00 for the "one that works". That being said and the fact that mine "actualy works", quite well in fact, I keep buying new Moor Subtrol probes.

The last one I lost was my own fault, my cable sleeve let go when it caught bottom.

Sub Troll actually supplies a lighter test cable to attach your probe to the ball, so if you get caught your only supposed to loose the ball and it works too as long as everything else stays together.

I find it actually pretty durable in fact, several times I had to replace the internal battery and didn't have any vaseline to put on the threads of the cap, probe filled up with water. Both times, fearing the electronics were cooked, I dried the probe out well and put the cap back on with vaseline and it worked without a problem.

So, all that being daid, I would give the nod to the Moor Subtroll, they "actualy work" and are cheaper and mine stays under the boat pretty well with a 10 pound ball at depths to 80 to 90 feet.

Oh and most importantly the replacement probe is reasonably priced and available from Cabelas, etc.

John S.

Replying to:

I've been thinking about going out there (anywhere)for years on a charter maybe. Someday I hope, my boat can't go that far from home. Too much work to get er ready for that long a trip, from Squam to Winni can be an adventure for the Barge as some of you may know, LOL....

John S.

Replying to:

Erin