(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Starfire's New Boat!!!

Hi Weeble,
I wanted the board to be strong, inexpensive and easy to take on and off. I also wanted it to be placed such that I didn't have to bend way out or in an awkward position to use the downriggers and of course still be able to tilt the engine up to the max. I was lucky to be able to mount it where it is and meet all those needs without pedestals, etc.
The board is literally an $8.00 length of pressure treated 2x8 bolted on each end with a pipe hanger type "U" bolt with wing nuts and washers and backer plates. The center support is ripped from the leftover 2x8 and screwed together.
The downriggers come off the swivel bases with 4 thumb screws and the Twist and Turn rod holders slide on and off at the bases.
I had a similar set up on my other boat that withstood downrigger balls hung up on the bottom with the cable snapping, multiple simultaneous bluefish strikes off the rod holders and the occasional towing of stranded boaters, etc.
You can also add a couple of "L" brackets or aluminum angle if there is a concern of the board snapping off. Don't get me wrong, I love the looks and funtionality of the aluminum extruded boards but this set up just happens to work out for me the way the boat is configured. See you out there April 1st...