Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
End of Season Report.

Sad to see season end. We will still be out with the bows some, but wife says I got some things to do around home. So I will just need to sneak out.
New Brunswick Report....
Trav, Colan,Big Al, and I went to NB Nov. 13-17.
This is the last week of their season. The weather was horrible. It rained most every day and on a couple of days it poured! Weather was warm and was as high as 70 degrees the last day of our hunt. This all said we still had a great time. The guys we shared the camp with were from Vermont and Maine and were all awesome guys, that we shared allot of laughs with.
First day of the hunt I was hunting a piece of thick softwoods along a clearcut. I heard a snap of a twig and here comes big racked buck right at me. It was so thick that I was on a game trail and literally stepped aside to allow buck to go by, rather than run me over, and fired from the hip as he passed with 10 feet of me! He was ten points and weighed 201 lbs. Now the bads news (for me), Trav heard me shoot and called on the radio and said I think you just shot Rick's buck. Rick another hunter in our camp had shot at a buck in another cut off and Trav and some of Ricks's friends were tracking it and had just jumped him. As it turns out right at me. It turns out that the buck had been paunched and they had been following him for about an hour and were hot on his trail when I shot him. We went with first blood rule and I let Rick have him. I have a good picture however! Both Rick and I were a little bummed , but Rick is great guy and we all had a great time watching Trav(the youngest in group) work his tail off dragging this guy on bare ground. This was only buck seen all week with some doe seen and Big Al got to watch two bull moose fight for forty -five minutes under his tree stand.
Pittsburg Report...
We drove home from NB...did some laundry, and headed to Pittsburg on Sunday AM to hunt thru the Sunday after Thanksgiving, since the State cut out the last week up in Zone A.
Again weather not really great as it was cold and crunchy in Am and warm in afternoon. We all saw deer but no big bucks. Had highlight of my whole season on Thanksgiving as I took my 6 year old grandson for the day and even though we only saw two flags had a great day in the woods. His 4 year old brother was hunting also with his dad. These guys already love the woods!
We got home home the Sunday after Thanksgiving and on Monday morning Trav shot 5 point 125lber behind my house! It was really his last day to hunt so he at least has some venison for the ice fishing this winter!
Finished season around the house and saw bunch of does and had a great time. Congrats to all that scored and that famous Red Sox cry to the rest of us...'Wait til next year'
See ya on the ice!

Re: End of Season Report.

Great report Still Fishin.....Its all about the hunt, and the time spent on it.....So many memories each year...Wish it lasted longer!!!

Popeye

Re: End of Season Report.

Bob and Travis...Getting the "big" one is important but it is clear from all your posts that quality time with family and friends is truely what it's all about for you guys! Way to go!