Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Rod choices

I happen to sell Eagle Claw rods and I believe that they have the best value for the money. I too like the fiberglass rods for downriggers. We have a step up which is the Essential rods. They are very nice but 4 times the money.

I have used the Eagle Claw rods for my riggers but I keep going back to Ugly Stik Lites. They are a composite rod, Fibergalss and Graphite. I find glass rods to be less sensitive than what I want and straight graphite has way too fast of an action, so the Ugly stik lite is a great compromise that I love and highly recomend I use a bigger rod than most at 8'6", it just became a matter of preference...I use the casting rods with a line weight of 8-17 lb.

Re: Re: Rod choices

I may sound NUTS but I run all ultra light rods and reels when fishing for LL Salmon.I use 5 foot ugly sticks and 4 to 6 lb test line with romer releases.I have more fun on the ultras than with rigger rods.But when I do use the rigger rods I have Diawa great lake specals rods that are med action 8'6 they don't make these any more but I love them for rigger rods.If I had to buy any today I would look at the Diawa heartland rods in the 7'6 to 8 foot range. Light to med light one pc If I could find them.Just
my two cents.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Rod choices

bwd 1131 7' one piece fiberglass Ugly Stick light action 6-17# line is what i use on the down riggers, they have worked out well. i like that it is a one piece rod.

ilucas

Erbyjoe i have those heartlands you mention from (7'6"-8'6") and they are too stiff for winni. Awesome for kings they are my lake O setups. They are not like the old great lakes system which were great rods.

There is a ""phantom"" 8ft heartland light action(kokanee downrigger rod) that i have been searching for for a couple years they are impossible to get. I bet if someone could get it, it would be a great rod. Last place i ordered them online i lost my money. Business folded the week i ordered!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Rod choices

Yeah I have 7 great lake rods I keep them in a rod case so there like brand new My wife thinks I'm nuts but I have had them a long time so it pays to keep them in something like that I also have the dipsey rods they made It will be a sad day when I lose one.If you have a part # for those rods I can put some feelers out for you if you would like just give me a name size and action and lets see what we can come up with.It's up to you.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Rod choices YOAdrien and anyone else Possible place for the heartland rods

http://www.allseasonssports.com/store.asp?pid=7425&catid=19670

Not sure if you checked out this place before in Pulaski but they can get just about anything if you ask. They are across from Fat Nancys. They have come thru for me quite a few times plus I saw quite a few of those Heartland rods in their rod racks last fall.
They might be able to locate that Phantom light action kokanee rod you mentioned.

Phone # 315-298-6433

Web site above

Charlie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rod choices YOAdrien and anyone else Possible place for the heartland rods

they have changed the model #'s of the rods.
I just found 2 places online that say they carry them with the new model#'s listed. I e-mailed them for confirmation of stock. If they have them i will pick 1 up to check it out.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rod choices YOAdrien and anyone else Possible place for the heartland rods

YOAdrien awsome Hope it works out for you.

Erin

i have the yellow eagle claws and the okuma blue diamond downrigger ml 8foot 6 rods. the okuma has a better blank, soft but responsive as the eagle claws have a more dead action. the handle takes a while to get used to though, big trangular forgrip is a littler uncomfortable at first, but is easier to hold bigger reels stable when you get used to it. i use it for the down rigger as well as the planer board. i use 4 pound test with it so its fine for what we do. its always used on the planer as it has a gimbal mount that locks it in place which is needed on my boat so i can lock the guides away from the planer line which always seems to come around and hit the rods

Re: Re: Rod choices

Had great luck with these downrigger rods.
Shakespheare BWD 1101 9'0 ft Ugly Stik Downrigger rod, fiberglass/light action 6-20 lb. This is there standard downrigger rod.
Also I have Shakespheare Cateva IM-8 grafite rods, model DR6080 8' med - light action. I consider it an ultra light rod and real whippy but strong enough for downrigger use.

Awesome guys, thank you for your input.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Rod choices

I use invincible guide select rods model #4200-86mstc2 with okuma magda 20 reels , great setup 8'6 rod medium action line weight 8-15 lb bought them at wildlife taxidermy for 20 bucks .also have shimano downrigger rods but they are medium to heavy a bit to heavy for salmon around here so I use them for strippers "reel it in "