Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Strange looking critter????

Probably was a squirel. I have seen several that were jet black. Neat looking animal.

Re: Re: Strange looking critter????

I know it wasn't a red squirrel. Maybe it was a gray squirrel dragging a Davy Crokett hat,but it was climbing a big Oak on my front lawn.

Re: Re: Re: Strange looking critter????

Salty are you sure you hadn't eaten too many of those delicious hermits that Peggy makes?
Cal

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I know it wasn't a red squirrel. Maybe it was a gray squirrel dragging a Davy Crokett hat,but it was climbing a big Oak on my front lawn.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Strange looking critter????

Hey Salty, No, you are not crazy, (at least about black squirrels) I have seen the black squirrels on the Wesrfield State campus.

Copied from the net...
The Black Squirrel in Westfield
The black squirrel, which is found abundantly in Westfield, Massachusetts, is actually very rare in this country. (There are 10,000 "other-colored-squirrels" for each black one.) Some people believe that seeing a black squirrel will bring good luck. Others just find enjoyment watching these playful little bundles of energy as they scamper amid Westfield's old oaks. Of course, these furry black creatures have also been known to attack bird feeders, ravage gardens, gnaw on wires or cables, and even chase humans to try to tug on their shoelaces.
"The Profusion of black squirrels in Westfield is a curious phenomenon. As the story goes, they were first brought here in 1948 as a gift to Frank Stanley Beveridge, the founder of Stanley Park. Six of the squirrels were released in the park, where they thrived. Their population grew, and today they can be found all over Westfield."
Hmmmmm.

Re: Strange looking critter????

Did it look like this? I found other people on the web who have posted questions about squirrels with ringed tails. No answers as to exactly what it is but I guess Salty isn't crazy. LOL

Salty maybe criters go thru a color change for the winter maybe it was in the middle of a change.Just like loons they turn gray during the winter.Just a thought.

Erin

I have seen many black squirrels. Not in this state however,they were everywhere in MD when I was in the Navy the base was loaded with them never saw a grey squirrel while I was there. If your ever in the DC are keep an eyeout and you might see one.

Yes, that's what it looked like, only was darker. Thank's for the pic! Now my buddies won't think I'm quite that nuts! (no pun intended)

Salty

When we lived in Ontario Canada. I never saw a squirrel that was'nt black