Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Antenna Mounts

Link - these 8-ft. antennas can create quite a bit of force from boat movement, during running. I'd think you need steel, and I actually made deck plates for my antenna mount to provide strength against that type of stress on the gunwale. Good question for the Grey Ghost.

Eric

Re: Re: Antenna Mounts

Stainless Steel is the way to go, more $$ but it won’t fail. The plastic ones will flex at the neck.

Re: Re: Re: Antenna Mounts

Thanks Eric and Grey Ghost. I figured as much, the nylon looks pretty flimsy, just hoping to save a buck when I can. Did you put a backing plate on the underside of your gunwale?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Antenna Mounts

Link - yeah I made a backing plate out of 1/4-in. aluminum plate. I used the mount as a template to mark the outline and the holes and then cut it out with a jig saw and had a buddy drill the holes with a drill press. I also have the heavy-duty SS ratchet mount that pairs up with the 8-ft Shakespeare.

Re: Re: Antenna Mounts

My new mount I got for Christmas is the nylon one, I will return it for steel, when I get going 80 or 90 mph in my barge, I want to be sure it wont break off, LOL..

Actually I'm going to return and upgrade the antenna too as I know your "ears' are the most important thing, the radio will be fine.

By the way, a couple of us are meeting at Guiseppi's in Merideth for Pizza, etc. Sunday around 12:30, anyone wants to join us come on over. Not a big deal, lunch and wish each other a Happy New Year, etc. and goodbye.. It was a last minute thing, probably only a few people can make it.

I'm leaving in the morning for the weekend up the Lake, can't really be reached by e mail, so if anyone wants to come, we will see ya there.

Happy New Year to all,

John S.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Link - these 8-ft. antennas can create quite a bit of force from boat movement, during running. I'd think you need steel, and I actually made deck plates for my antenna mount to provide strength against that type of stress on the gunwale. Good question for the Grey Ghost.

Eric

Re: Re: Re: Antenna Mounts

John,
Will it be a short gathering. The PATS are playing at 1:00 PM!!!!!

May be just a couple us, you can eat and run,or they must a have a TV there ? I wonder if AJ's is open ??????

Looks like a skim of white ice on the little lake.

Jphn S.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

John,
Will it be a short gathering. The PATS are playing at 1:00 PM!!!!!

I have always used the nylon and never had any problems. Just picked up a new one for the new boat and can't beat the price.