Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Obscure, non fishing related question, pertaining to NH history

Here goes: Thanks to John Harrigan for his recommendation to read "Arundel" by Kenneth Roberts, which(I'm only on page 80 of 546) chronicles life in the mid 1700's along the southeast coast of Maine, where the Abenakis and white men are intermingled along the Androscoggin, Saco, Kennebec, and so on(mostly about Maine). The details and first hand accounts of "Steven Nason" and his travels are incredibly vivid and bring you right in to what we, outdoorsmen, only could dream about. The real story is about Benedict Arnold marching his troops through the wilds of western Maine to attack Quebec. NOW:

Here's my question: On my travels between Colebrook and Pittsburg on Rt. 145, I believe there is a sign honoring a wise old Indian, who lived to be 600 years old or some crazy thing. Anyone know his name?? I think it was Magentis, or Meg something or other? I want to know it in case I come across it in the book, there are alot of Indian tribes, with alot of mentionings of what are now NH places, it's really interesting. Thanks for your time. I wish I enjoyed history this much when I was in high school:)

Re: Obscure, non fishing related question, pertaining to NH history

metalak
2kr used to get bait there

Re: Re: Obscure, non fishing related question, pertaining to NH history

Ahh, yes, Metalak, thank you.

"2KR used to get bait there" Huh?