Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Boat Insurance

I didn't even know you had a boat, just teasing.

Not sure, but you may be on to something here, good time of the year to look into it. I use Ashland Insurance, seem to be OK, less than that I think with 5000.00 rider for fishing gear, but I'll let you knpw when I get my bill.

Fishlakewinni.com must have a few boats we could negotiate on, guess we would need a list or call around and see what they need for info ??? I'll call my place, figure maybe 50 boats or more ????

Great idea, that must be why they pay you the big bucks.

John S.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I've been reviewing my 2007 boat insurance bill and it's gone up again. Now it's over $500 and I only use it for 6 months of the year..
I'm wondering if we have anyone on this board in the insurance business that could offer us a GROUP RATE. I would think if 20 or so of us got together we could negotiate a group rate.
How much do the rest of you pay? Where's the best place to buy insurance?
Cal

Re: Re: Boat Insurance

Check with Boats US
http://www.boatus.com/insurance/
I used these people for many years - cheap

Cal,
Check AARP. We saved on home and auto. Boat will be next year.
Jim

Cal
I am in if you all go in for a "good" deal
Richard

I use a company called Forest group I should be getting my bill some time soon I'm not sure what I have covered I pay $350.00 year But I don't have alot for gear I got bit once so I take every thing off and out when I go places It's time consuming but for the pc of mind I get I don't mind doing it.It's hard loseing $3000 worth of stuff.So insurance is the way to go and a big rottie tied to the boat works also.Let me know If the price is right I'm In.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Boat Insurance

I use BoatUS on both boats. Very good prices. I also would be interested if you score. Doc

Re: Re: Re: Re: Boat Insurance

I have mine with a company called Markel and I pay $220 for the boat and itemized gear on the boat (riggers, sonar, radio) and have coverage for watersports (sking etc). I found these guys through a friend that is a bass tournament fisher. All the bass guys have to have proof of insurance to enter the tourneys so they know where the deals are. I can look up the phone number over the weekend if anyone wants.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Boat Insurance

Proline is the Markel Isurance Co. you have the same as this website? http://www.markelinsurance.com/
Cal

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Boat Insurance

Great idea to try to get a group discount but keep in mind we may be comparing apples and oranges. When you say you pay $X, what does it cover? What are the deductibles. More importantly, what are the exclusions? Is the company any good if you have a claim. Among the bunch of us, we may have quite a sampling of "insurance products." If we can find a way to compare the overall cost/benefits of these products, we can make an informed decision.

Another thought on options as we could compile a list of our names, boats, boat and gear $$$ and shop it around with the best ranked insurance companies. A little competitive bidding may find the best and most sustainable deal. The real test of an insurance company is what happens when you have a claim. When you're "on your own" you tend to get a big price hike or dropped altogether. In a larger group "our" agent would be tempered with the fact that we can take "our" much larger group business anywhere so there would be much less of a knee jerk reaction.

I am not an insurance agent but I've been in business on my own for 16+ years and I have learned to shop for and buy a lot of different types of insurance. Are there others out there who have experience on this? We could put together a "steering committee" to try and come up with a strategy to take this forward.

Food for thought. But a great thread and idea to pursue.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Boat Insurance

Yes it is because I found the address where I mail my payment on their website.

Markel American Insurance Co.
WavelinE™
P.O. Box 906
Pewaukee, WI 53072-0906

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Boat Insurance

I also use Markel, WaveLine.com

Does anyone know if we get a discount on insurance with the Boater Education Certificate ???

John S.

John yes you do.There is some sort of discount for having the corse but I think it has to be USCG certfied.I'm not really sure I will look in to it.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Boat Insurance

Be interesting to know.

Thanks,

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Boat Insurance

I use allstate and will check on my policy price and if gtheir is something better I will definately join count me in .