Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Boat Insurance

Check with Boats US
http://www.boatus.com/insurance/
I used these people for many years - cheap

Re: Boat Insurance

Cal,
Check AARP. We saved on home and auto. Boat will be next year.
Jim

Cal
I am in if you all go in for a "good" deal
Richard

I use a company called Forest group I should be getting my bill some time soon I'm not sure what I have covered I pay $350.00 year But I don't have alot for gear I got bit once so I take every thing off and out when I go places It's time consuming but for the pc of mind I get I don't mind doing it.It's hard loseing $3000 worth of stuff.So insurance is the way to go and a big rottie tied to the boat works also.Let me know If the price is right I'm In.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Boat Insurance

I use BoatUS on both boats. Very good prices. I also would be interested if you score. Doc

Re: Re: Re: Re: Boat Insurance

I have mine with a company called Markel and I pay $220 for the boat and itemized gear on the boat (riggers, sonar, radio) and have coverage for watersports (sking etc). I found these guys through a friend that is a bass tournament fisher. All the bass guys have to have proof of insurance to enter the tourneys so they know where the deals are. I can look up the phone number over the weekend if anyone wants.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Boat Insurance

Proline is the Markel Isurance Co. you have the same as this website? http://www.markelinsurance.com/
Cal

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Boat Insurance

Great idea to try to get a group discount but keep in mind we may be comparing apples and oranges. When you say you pay $X, what does it cover? What are the deductibles. More importantly, what are the exclusions? Is the company any good if you have a claim. Among the bunch of us, we may have quite a sampling of "insurance products." If we can find a way to compare the overall cost/benefits of these products, we can make an informed decision.

Another thought on options as we could compile a list of our names, boats, boat and gear $$$ and shop it around with the best ranked insurance companies. A little competitive bidding may find the best and most sustainable deal. The real test of an insurance company is what happens when you have a claim. When you're "on your own" you tend to get a big price hike or dropped altogether. In a larger group "our" agent would be tempered with the fact that we can take "our" much larger group business anywhere so there would be much less of a knee jerk reaction.

I am not an insurance agent but I've been in business on my own for 16+ years and I have learned to shop for and buy a lot of different types of insurance. Are there others out there who have experience on this? We could put together a "steering committee" to try and come up with a strategy to take this forward.

Food for thought. But a great thread and idea to pursue.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Boat Insurance

Yes it is because I found the address where I mail my payment on their website.

Markel American Insurance Co.
WavelinE™
P.O. Box 906
Pewaukee, WI 53072-0906

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Boat Insurance

I also use Markel, WaveLine.com

Does anyone know if we get a discount on insurance with the Boater Education Certificate ???

John S.

John yes you do.There is some sort of discount for having the corse but I think it has to be USCG certfied.I'm not really sure I will look in to it.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Boat Insurance

Be interesting to know.

Thanks,

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Boat Insurance

I use allstate and will check on my policy price and if gtheir is something better I will definately join count me in .