Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Time for us to think serious about the future

John S -- A "living will" and "limited power of attorney" are critical documents. The only way to be sure that YOUR wishes are followed is to have these documents drawn up and in the hands of the people you're delegating your decision making to. Even though my parents had these documents drawn up, they went through uneccessary suffering because nobody had the bloody things but the lawyer! If an ambulance shows up they WILL seek to revive you even if that was against your wishes unless the living will is there and the they can reach the "proxy" (person or list of persons delegated to serve on your behalf if you are incapacitated). If you don't have these things John get them done, everyone with kids let alone grandkids should have: (1) a will; (2) living will with proxies; (3) limited power of attorney.

Re: Re: Re: Time for us to think serious about the future

John... took me a second to get it, but the light did go on! Hahaha... I suppose I live in a vegetative state, dependent on the ol' TV somedays, too. Good joke.

I sent that along as a joke obviously, but what you bring up is good advice for all.

I do have a will, etc. but a living will was not done at that time and my regular will should probably be re-visted anyhow.

Thanks,

John S.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

John S -- A "living will" and "limited power of attorney" are critical documents. The only way to be sure that YOUR wishes are followed is to have these documents drawn up and in the hands of the people you're delegating your decision making to. Even though my parents had these documents drawn up, they went through uneccessary suffering because nobody had the bloody things but the lawyer! If an ambulance shows up they WILL seek to revive you even if that was against your wishes unless the living will is there and the they can reach the "proxy" (person or list of persons delegated to serve on your behalf if you are incapacitated). If you don't have these things John get them done, everyone with kids let alone grandkids should have: (1) a will; (2) living will with proxies; (3) limited power of attorney.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Time for us to think serious about the future

I agree with living wills and limited power of attorneys whole heartedly. While you are doing that, you should look into revocable or irrevocable trusts with your attorney. Should you become infirmed in a hospital or nursing home indefinetly,Hospitals, nursing homes, medicare etc. can take your home and other assets after your money runs out. An irrevocable trust does not allow them to take assets out of anything in that trust. Read the fine print and talk to your attorney though, because if your home is in an irrevocable trust the IRS does not allow you and your wife's 1/2 a million deduction should you sell it!
Just my 2 cents.
Richard

Re: Time for us to think serious about the future

Re: Re: Time for us to think serious about the future

I missed it completely...

A will just doesn't do much good - it's not looked at until probate - you're long gone!! You need a "living will" on file with your doctor - your local hospital - and family members. Do it before you need it. Also a "durable power of attorney" with someone who will follow your wishes as to end of life care.

me too. good one, John

it does bring up an important topic, however. My mom had emphezima ( sp? ) and didn't want to end up on a respirator. she signed a living will. when the time came ( she couldn't breathe out any more ) and she was not competent to tell the doctor what she wanted, the living will told the doctor what he had to do. one of my brothers tried to get the doctor to put her on the respirator but he said he couldn't do it. She got her way.

Re: Time for us to think serious about the future

Now that just funny!

John, I will share my beer with you if you are ever in any danger of that happening again.

Hope it was not a fishing show on top of it all? ha ha