Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: ice fishing for rainbows

Go shallow for sure and find a real sandy bottom. I have caught them shallow in rocky areas but if you get on one thats a fighter the rocks will get ya every time!!

Charlie

Re: Re: ice fishing for rainbows

Just the oposite information here;
I go deep, 40-60 feet of water. I fish 8-18 feet down, #10 hooks, small split, 4-6 lb test line, all mono, smelt for bait, and I have a wall full of bows, 5-6.5lbs. (well, maybe not a wall full, but quite a few) Have taught a few people how to do it, to which they also have had success with bigons.......

My 2 1/2 cents!!

Popeye

Re: Re: Re: ice fishing for rainbows

Any ice at all up there Popeye? Cold is coming

Re: ice fishing for rainbows

i dont usually fish for rainbows but pick them up fishing for browns, usualy in deep water but near shore fishing 12 to 18 feet down. usual setup is 3 spread arms length of line down, bigger minnows than what most would fish with, broken tails.

Re: Re: ice fishing for rainbows

Allright I'l bite, what's a broken tail.

Another question, can you shoot me the web site for the down rigger weights we were talking about earlier, another lost casualty of my hard drive ?

John S.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

i dont usually fish for rainbows but pick them up fishing for browns, usualy in deep water but near shore fishing 12 to 18 feet down. usual setup is 3 spread arms length of line down, bigger minnows than what most would fish with, broken tails.

Re: Re: Re: ice fishing for rainbows

i like my bait to quiver down there and not move around much. ill start with a lively bait, then after a while will break its tail so that it swims awkward, then later slide a small weight right down to th hook eye to slow it down more. another thing i might do is put the hook thru the side of the bait so that with the weight right on the hook the bait spends a lot of time trying to right itself. when your out with a big group and nothings happening it pays to do different things unless you see good catches with the standard setup. are you looking for the shark weight web site, i bought 2 on ebay in december
http://www.lakemichiganangler.com/store/Shark_Cannonball_Downrigger_Weights.htm

Re: Re: Re: Re: ice fishing for rainbows

Yes, that was it, how do they look ??

John S.

Replying to:

i like my bait to quiver down there and not move around much. ill start with a lively bait, then after a while will break its tail so that it swims awkward, then later slide a small weight right down to th hook eye to slow it down more. another thing i might do is put the hook thru the side of the bait so that with the weight right on the hook the bait spends a lot of time trying to right itself. when your out with a big group and nothings happening it pays to do different things unless you see good catches with the standard setup. are you looking for the shark weight web site, i bought 2 on ebay in december

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ice fishing for rainbows

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
they look nice, but not 70 dollar nice. im hoping they really do run straight down like they say so i wont have any problems with the other weights tangling up with them. bought one for me and the other for dads birthday.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ice fishing for rainbows

Oops, I see you put the web site on your reply, thanks. Looks like my hybernation is over, starting to think about buying stuff, might even go to a fishing show ??????????

John S.

Replying to:

Yes, that was it, how do they look ??

John S.

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ice fishing for rainbows

Hey Joe,
Tarlton has 5 inches and they are fishing it. Tewks has about 4, and they will be fishing it this weekend.
My hot spot still has open water, but by the end of next week with this cold weather a comming, i should get on it.

Popeye