Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
portable sonar/fishfinder for rental boat

going to florida and will likely rent a boat to cruise around inshore. it would be nice to have a sonar unit to find wrecks, reefs and other structure. the boat may not have one. wondering whether anyone has used a portable sonar unit and has any advice. is it a good idea? what model has anyone used with success? what should i look for? is it easy to set up?

thanks.

p.s. check out divespots.com. you can find wrecks and reefs in the florida area and, if you register, you can get gps coordinates. don't know if you can fish and dive the same spots.

Re: portable sonar/fishfinder for rental boat

Floydo -- I have an inexpensive greyscale Humminbird Pirahnamax 10. It has a suction cup transom ducer. This works well as long as the surface you stick it to is clean. Bring a wire brush or "scrunge" for cleaning the spot on the boat where you mount the ducer. There are others of course, Garmin makes a color

Link fo pirahnamax (about $120)http://store.wmjmarine.com/c15567.html

Re: Re: portable sonar/fishfinder for rental boat

thanks, eric.

I checked it out.
specs say "inside hull or transom mount" for the transducer.
how do you mount yours?
does "inside hull" mean you get under the deck and stick it to the hull? where on the transom?

Re: portable sonar/fishfinder for rental boat

I have a list of Artificial Reefs for the Gulf coast, if that will do you any good.

Floydo: the portable unit I have has a suction cup 'ducer on a cable and coils and stores in the "case" with the portable display. I mount in on the transom outside just like in the same location where you would mount a permanent transom ducer. Key is to brush or scrub the location clean so the suction cup stays put.

Eric

Re: Re: Re: portable sonar/fishfinder for rental boat

if that's true, does the boat need to be out of the water for the installation?

Re: Re: Re: Re: portable sonar/fishfinder for rental boat

Floydo - no need to do that, I'd just lean over the back, scrub the spot the best you can then mount the suction cup and away you go, at least for slow speeds.

Eric

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: portable sonar/fishfinder for rental boat

so the suction cup is above the water line. does the transducer itself end up below waterline the way it's designed ? or are you saying ok to have transducer itself above the water line if you are going slow?

thanks

meanwhile .........i see a rental shop in marathon fl has a 20 foot mako with sonar, livewell, etc. $197 for the day.

http://qualityboats.net/staticpages/index.php/Rental_Boats_Marathon_Florida_Keys

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: portable sonar/fishfinder for rental boat

saw a related tip in field and stream. attach transducer to a board and u-clamp the board to the transom so that the ducer is under water and below turbulemce. in the case we're discussing ( portable sonar with suction cup connection), i guess the board would have to be plastic or polyurethane coated.

hey gus.
i wouldn't mind having it if it's not an inconvenience. thanks.