Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tiller !!

Any suggestions weather I should get a kicker with a tiller or not.

Re: Tiller !!

I have a tiller on my kicker but If I had to do it over I would not get a tiller handle I would get another controller and set it up like my main motor.But My kicker works fine I need to get a controll king for it but I have alot of other things I need to get before that(LOL)It all depends of how your going to use the motor My kicker never leaves my boat it stays on there.But I know some guys that remove it so they can put it on a little boat for smaller ponds and such.I got mine for a really good price so I didn't have a choice.Shop around see what is out there ether way they will both work.

Erin

Re: Tiller !!

My last boat did not have a tiller on the kicker.
I had it wired up with it's own remote controls just like the big motor. to put it simply. I HATED IT!

My new boat has a kicker with a tiller. I LOVE IT!

Think about this, you get your riggers hooked on bottom, you have to yell at someone else at the front of the boat what to do. With it on a tiller you can go back and forward and steer and hit neutral.

Next scene you are fighting a crazy salmon that runs at the rigger cables you just grab the throttle and blast forward.

Next scene you have a big boy right behind the boat and you have to hit neutral for just a second to get him close enough for the net then pop back in forward and go.

Without the tiller you can't manuever at the drop of a hat you have to run back and forth or yell out orders. I use the tiller controls all the time on charters and would be lost without it.

All that being said after many different boats and setups the remote controls hooked up to your helm will not allow you to dial in your speed very wel, at least i couldn't, and are not worth the money and hassle of installing. Tiller handles like the Honda's have a locking ring on the tiller handle to get your speed set and lock it there. You could get away with a kicker like this because your speed won't slip. The best thing in my opinion is a tiller with electric start and a charging coil with a troll master or controll king for your speed.

Re: Re: Tiller !!

YOAdrien I have to say that I have learned more this year from your posts than I have in the 25 years trolling for salmon.Every time I think I have the bull by the horns you make a post that makes so much sense it blows me away.What you said about the tiller make so much sense.Up in New York everyone uses the 2nd controller for there kickers.But there always has to be someone at the helm so you don't go out of controll(I don't have auto pilot)but every thing you said I have done on my own boat with the tiller.I always thought that a 2nd controller was the way to go but now you make me think that what I have is the way to go.Thanks You just saved me big $$.Only 58 more day to go for April 1st can't wait.

Re: Re: Re: Tiller !!

Well I kind of jump the gun yesterday and picked up a left over merc 15 hp four with remote and elec start. It is a 05 with 0 hrs on it for 2,200. Maybe I should have waited a day for your input, but I thought it wasa good deal.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Tiller !!

WOW, that is a great deal!
Now just get a controll king or troll master to hook to your throttle and you will be good to go.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tiller !!

YoAdrien which one is better the controll king or the Troll master Isn't one of them digital and one is analog?

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tiller !!

Erin

I installed the controll king last season and it is one of the best things I ever did. Also heard good reports on the troll master as well.

Charlie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tiller !!

charlie I know there has been posts on this but while we are on the subject I looked up both and the troll master is digital and says some thing about drawing 2 amps or less My kicker does not have charging abiltys so how is the controll king set up power wise?

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tiller !!

Positive and negitive on the battery I have no issues with any strong draw but I also have a good charge coming from my Honda 9.9.

Charlie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tiller !!

Thanks charlie I have 3 batteries on the boat so I should have plenty of power I only paid $1000 for my kicker(9.9 4 stroke)new I got a good deal on it so I'm not complaining but I wish it had charging abilty but heah it sure beats OARS.Thanks for the info.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tiller !!

wow good ideas I have a fiberglass 21 foot walk around what size do i need for it ? Also anyone heard about the new evinrude e tec ? I would like to match my existing motor .Youve got to match right?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tiller !!

Jeff I have a 140 suzuki and a merc kicker It's not necessary to match motors.If you want to match to look good nothing wrong with that Both of my motors are black so they look alike.I wouldn't go any smaller than 9.9-10 hp I have a 19 foot Lund and top end speed with my kicker is 6 MPH but it's just right for my boat I have had it in all types of water so I can get home in any type of weather.Just make sure you get a size that will do the same for your size boat.I would also go with a 4 stroke so you don't have to mix oil and gas plus you can tap into your gas line for your main motor.I'm by far no expert.But just my 2 cents.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tiller !!

I have the Troll Master and it's great i have been on other boats with controll king and didn't notice any major difference between them.

for a 21 fiberglass you want a 9.9 or a 15 i wouldn't go smaller but you could troll with a 5 although i bet you would be revving it up pretty high to troll over 2 mph, and probably have poor control going into the wind.

I have an E-Tec 250 for main power and it's great. I don't think they make e-tec's below 30 or 40 hp.
And they are 2 strokes and 2 strokes don't like running at idle for the whole day even though these particular 2-strokes are amazing engines. And like erbyjoe said you have to mix your oil and gas and have a seperate tank for that motor. Your main engine is oil injected so your gas tank is unmixed and you can "tee" your line right to your 4-stroke kicker with no problem and no extra gas tank or hassle.