Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ice fishing the big lake

I am thinking of doing the ice derby this year after fishing the lake all summer. I'd like to know if the fish change where they are in the winter vs the summer fishing season? Is it better fishing in the more shallow waters or or better hitting the steeper drop offs like over by rattlesnake? Also is smelt the bait of choice in the winter? One last question.. Any suggestions on what kind of lures to use for doing some jigging? DB's mabey?

TIA,Trebble Hook

Re: ice fishing the big lake

What are you fishing for?

Winni on derby weekend will be a zoo. If you fish it, it is crazy but admittedly fun. Some of the funniest people are out there. Dangerous too so be careful. ;) Bring a camera.

Lakers: 15-50 feet. Ledges, flats, points, dropoffs. Jigging with cut bait on a swedish pimple or similar baits. Tube baits work well too.
Rainbows: 1-6 feet. sandy shallow beech areas near current. Salmon eggs, smelt, small shiner, small jiggs tipped with maggots.
Salmon: everywhere and don't want to leave you alone even though you can pull them through the hole. :( I think they are teasing us.

Smelt are a good bait to use but also are hard to keep alive which makes them more expensive and in limited supply. Some years bait dealers laugh at you when you ask for them. I think AJs does have some though so give him a call. But I'm also hearing that bait orders have been chomped this year and places have been running out hear in So. NH.

Good luck and be safe.
Brian

Re: Re: ice fishing the big lake - correction

Sorry typo in regard to Salmon. You CAN'T pull them through the hole.

Brian

Re: Re: Re: ice fishing the big lake - correction

hey eric this is brian was wondering how the baby is give me a call 666-0665 . I will be fishing winni on saturday for the derby .call me "reel it in"