Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
kicker motor brackets

Okay... I know this has been discussed before, but I'm asking again because I want ideas.

I'm putting a 9.9 four stroke (probably Honda) on my boat. Do I need the Garelick 71091 15-1/2" of travel bracket? Or can I get away with 11-1/2" offered by another brand? Both have the weight rating... The garelick gave me sticker shock! I saw prices up around 450 to 500 bucks. Other brands are in the 150 range. I need an awful good reason to spend 500 bucks on a bracket, if I can get another brand for 1/3 the price.
I plan to order either later tonight or tomorrow so we can determine shaft length needed on the motor.

Please advise.

Re: kicker motor brackets

In cabelas the 9 1/2" is $275 and the 15 1/2" is $310
These are the good garelick models i have owned both of them. The shorter 1 on my last boat and the longer 1 on my new boat. I would reccomend for the extra $35 to get the longer travel model.

I also had a cheap 1 on an older boat but only 4.5 hp on it, it was fine.

Basically if you get the longer travel model you won't have to tilt your kicker motor when you are running. The vertical travel will get it all the way out of the water.

DISCLAIMER:: This is by no means an endorsement of shopping at cabelas, please buy local and keep the local shops in business!!

Re: Re: kicker motor brackets

Well, I've gotta say... that's the first time Cabelas has been the cheapest place I've seen something. I ended up finding it other places down to 350... Guess that will be the one I order.
If I remember right, Adrien, you have no problem putting the motor down right? I've heard on the other brands that it is hard to lower the motor but they pop up quick.
Thanks

Re: Re: Re: kicker motor brackets

my motor goes down easy because it is heavy enough to spin the springs. if you put a 5 hp 2 stroke on that bracket you and dave would have to stand on it to get it to go down.

9.9 and 15 are almost identical weights.

Re: kicker motor brackets

Slipnot,

i have all the mounting info and specs that Garelic
sent me on that bracket, if you like i can TRY to foward it to you. let me know

ilucas

Re: Re: kicker motor brackets

Thanks Ilucas... I think I'll be all set though. Was more concerned about the price difference. But I can deal with 300... 500 was a bit high. LOL

Re: Re: Re: kicker motor brackets

You know me... bargain shopper...

I found a store that sells the garelick 71091 including shipping for 275 bucks... beats cabelas (w/shipping) by 55 bucks.

Can you imagine that some stores are selling that same item for 500??? Unreal. I realize people have to make money, but that's double what this other guy is charging. And I'm sure he's making a profit.

If anyone is interested... http://www.hopkins-carter.com/desc.php?num=159692

Re: Re: Re: Re: kicker motor brackets

We need cabelas close by shipping is crazy $ for sure!!

Charlie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: kicker motor brackets

On my last boat I wish I had bought the longer travel bracket.In rough water the motor would come out of the water everynow and then so I would also recomend the extra $$ for the longer travel bracket.I also agree with Charlie when I bought the nav.chip from cabela's they charged me like $13.00 to ship some thing you could put a 39 cent stamp on and mail it.Some of these places hammer you on shipping I don't understand why they just don't bag you for what it actual cost to ship the product and may be throw in a couple extra $$.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: kicker motor brackets

I normally find Cabelas shipping rates just the opposite, at least they used to be cheaper UPS rates it seemed, even for next day shipping. I haven't really noticed it lately however.

Looks like thet are going through a big pricing restucturing program as we have all noticed some increases.

A point was made about suppporting the local shops and I agree 100%, but when you live 100 miles away it's allot easier this time of year to shop on the net. Also I find the local guys don't stock much fishing stuff in the winter (I've tried in a fews instances) it's all geared to hunting and ice fishing. I do make every effort to support the local guys during the season. But that is a good point, support your local tackle shops.

John S.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

On my last boat I wish I had bought the longer travel bracket.In rough water the motor would come out of the water everynow and then so I would also recomend the extra $$ for the longer travel bracket.I also agree with Charlie when I bought the nav.chip from cabela's they charged me like $13.00 to ship some thing you could put a 39 cent stamp on and mail it.Some of these places hammer you on shipping I don't understand why they just don't bag you for what it actual cost to ship the product and may be throw in a couple extra $$.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: kicker motor brackets

John I have found places that ship free if you spend over $100 and they are a small shops that just sell fishing stuff.Cabela's is a huge company I don't see why they have to hammer you on a small order of stuff.I always try to go local on any thing I buy they will always be there for you if you need them.I hate Wal-mart they do have cheap prices on things but I would rather go to a mom and pop store.I will get all my winni stuff from the guys on this site they know what works and what does not.They have everything to gain by helping people out.When I went to AJ'S last spring they treated me like they knew me for years very nice guys.He put me on some fish and I will go back all the time now.I'm like evryone else there are some things I will look around for the cheaper prices.But I don't know any one who doesn't.It all depends on what I'm looking for.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: kicker motor brackets

Good point about the free shipping ??? I guess it's the little guys way of competing with the Cabelas, etc. I've found in many cases, that the local boys can beat or match the big boys on some stuff and if you pick it up at the shop, no shipping either.

As much as we all appreciate the local shops and the personal treatment we get there, etc. we are all going to shop at Cabelas, Kittery Trading Post, etc. etc. now and then. They send a catalog out about every two weeks to make sure you dont forget them.

I just found out yesterday Kittery Trading Post is doing internet sales now and will be in full swing sometime in March, good news for some of us and perhaps not so good for the local shops. Even Kittery gets a visit once a year from most of us around here.

Let's face it nobody is ever going to have a monopoly in any type of sales business and those that expect it (I know a few) are dreamers.

John S.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

John I have found places that ship free if you spend over $100 and they are a small shops that just sell fishing stuff.Cabela's is a huge company I don't see why they have to hammer you on a small order of stuff.I always try to go local on any thing I buy they will always be there for you if you need them.I hate Wal-mart they do have cheap prices on things but I would rather go to a mom and pop store.I will get all my winni stuff from the guys on this site they know what works and what does not.They have everything to gain by helping people out.When I went to AJ'S last spring they treated me like they knew me for years very nice guys.He put me on some fish and I will go back all the time now.I'm like evryone else there are some things I will look around for the cheaper prices.But I don't know any one who doesn't.It all depends on what I'm looking for.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: kicker motor brackets

Not quite sure how my post started the discussion about Cabelas shipping fees? Their shipping fee was two dollars less than the place I ended up buying the bracket... The other guy was $252 for the unit $22 shipping. Cabelas was $309 for the unit $20 shipping. The part I couldn't figure out is how a smaller store can sell the bracket for $57 less than Cabelas ($55 cheaper after shipping). You'd think the bigger stores would be able to sell the product cheaper as they must sell more. But them aside... it was the places selling the bracket for 500 bucks that blew me away. Talk about unfair markup.

As far as local sales/purchases... I agree and have said it before that I get a lot of good deals locally. I would say 90% of the items under $200 each are bought locally. After that, I start shopping online for deals. I save 30% or more by doing that and those dollars add up. If I were rich I'd buy everything local... but I'm not... so I have to shop around for the best price. Also, for the most part, I try to make sure I don't buy items on line that will require servicing. For things needing that I would buy local from someone that could fix (or get fixed) the item if needed.
Have a good day... The Penny-Pincher...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: kicker motor brackets

Slipnot,

i know that the model #'s match up, but the image looks different than the one at cabelas. let us know if everything is the same when you get it.

thanks
ilucas

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: kicker motor brackets

I noticed that too... so before I purchased it I called. They sent an email saying the photo was a stock photo from an older model, but that it is indeed the same one offered by Cabelas. Maybe I'm too trusting, but I ordered it on their word. I'll let you know when I get it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: kicker motor brackets

great! i will be interested in getting one from them when and if i go foward with mine in the spring.

ilucas