Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 2007 law change question to John Viar with his reply

Now I'm confused... I thought the last time this came up we found out we couldn't run "branched lines" on one rod as it was considered a cheater? Now apparently we can as long as we only run one rod with one main line having no more than one branch... meaning two terminal ends off one rod.

I'm sticking to what we went by last year just to make it easier on myself... one terminal end per rod. Whether it be a lure, a hook point for bait or a fly. I think thats the easiest way to stay out of trouble... LOL

Re: Re: 2007 law change question to John Viar with his reply

slipknot

I agree keep it simple.....Amen

Charlies charters

i still read that as 2 lines being legal if your only using 1 rod as well. i think the confusion is how the different wardens are reading it. that rule needs better clarification in the rule book. i emailed the maine biologist that heads the sebago area of maine and he said it was legal there, i need to find someone in the fish and game of maine to address this as well, i havent been able as yet to find someone in charge to address this there yet. there are times when this method works better with one rod verse two

Re: 2007 law change question to John Viar with his reply

I guess I understand what I need to know for open water fishing. nothing has changed. But I would like to know more about how a "cast of flie's" is set up ?

Is it just a few of us or are the rules realy difficult to interpet ?????

John S.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Below is a question about the 2007 law with John Viars response. seems to clarify the law better. thought I would share.

Dear Mr. Viar,
This is Forrest Currier again. I don't mean to bother you , However I would appreciate if you would answer the following Question for me please. I thank you in advance for your reply.
Forrest Currier

It says on page #6 of the
"2007 New Hampshire Freshwater fishing digest"
The Following,

While ICE FISHING, only a single hook with a single hook point, per ice fishing device, shall be used for bait. While taking fish in open water, 2 hooks may be used with bait Per line, one with a single hook point and the other with no more than 3 hook points.

Now if you go to Definitions on page #12 of the digest, under Angling the definition reads the Following.

The taking of fish by line in Hand or rod in hand to which a cast of artificial flies, or an artificial bait, or hooks, or other devices for the attachment of bait.A person may use up to two lines. Rod holders are permitted.

All the above being the law according to the digest.

Here is my Question

Now I want to go fishing with smelt only in my boat in the Spring.

I take one fishing "ROD IN HAND" as per definition put a triple swivel attached to the "ROD IN HAND" line, on one of the other swivels attach a leader say three feet long at the end of that line attach a single hook, on that a smelt, I then on the remaining swivel attach a five foot leader with a weight with a three foot leader off of it, and on the other end of that thread a smelt on that line with a Treble hook or single hook on that line. I then do the same to my other rod.

I have only one line "in hand or rod in hand" as they say I can use two lines (that is all I am doing according to definition) RIGHT?
If you read about the artificial bait, it says "an artificial bait" that means just one. Then It says "or hooks or other devices for the attachtment of bait". It does not say how many pieces of "BAIT or for that matter how I have to set up my rigs, all it states is I can't use more than two hooks per line "in hand"
and one must be a single and the other can Have no more than three hook points. Can I do this legally and if not then WHY? It does not say I can't attach any other lines to my main line. A cheater line to me would mean you are using more than two hooks (one single and one treble, or two singles which for real baitwhich is legal) or you are using more than one artificial bait which is illegal.

your comments please
Forry

Hello Forrest-
For ice fishing, any time bait is attached and/or tipped, whether it be live, dead, pieces/segments, eggs, cut bait, PowerBait, worms, maggots, waxworms, etc., only a single hook with a single hook point is allowed. If an artificial lure, such as a jigging spoon (e.g. Swedish pimple) is used without bait, a treble is legal. Again though, as soon as bait is tipped onto any artificial, only a single hook with single hook point is allowed. Examples: live or dead shiner on tip up=single hook/single hook point only; jigging spoon tipped with smelt, shiner, or cut sucker=single hook/single hook point only; jigging spoon or other lure with no bait attached=treble if desired.
For open water, no "branching" is allowed on either of two rods/lines. As soon as lines are "branched", either with 3-way swivels, cheater lines/Alberta clippers, umbrella rigs, or any other rig/device that branches, that is, separates the line into another terminal end, this would count towards your two lines. Thus the hypothetical situation you described below, on one rod, would constitute your two lines. You could not have a second rod/line out, since the branching created by the 3-way swivel has created a second line/terminal end on your first rod. The single hook/treble hook open water combo, tied within the same line/terminal end, allows the use of the popular sliding bait rig. For trolling with flies, a cast of flies may be used, but again, they must be in line (tied in line); as soon as a dropper or any of the other or similar rigs above are used, this constitutes your second line, because there is branching to another terminal end. More than one branch would in fact put you over your two line limit. Thus a "line" is defined as one terminal end, and per pg. 12 "Angling" in the Freshwater Fishing Digest - "A person may use up to two lines".
The above is as described and enforced by District Two law enforcement, the conservation officers that patrol Lake Winnipesaukee and many of the other "large lakes" managed for landlocked salmon and/or lake trout in the Lakes Region/central NH.
Good luck and have a great spring; there is up to 14 inches of ice on Winni, depending on location, so it would seem a more traditional ice out this year - but, you know the saying about predicting New England weather...
John V.
--------------------------------------
John A. ViarFisheries Biologist I

Dear sir,
Thank you for your timely reply. you did not say like you did in your former answer to a question I asked. You allowed me to share your reply with my fellow fishermen at Winni web page, may I have your permission to do so?
thank you
Forrest

New Hampshire Fish and Game Department
Region 2 Office
PO Box 417
New Hampton NH 03256
(603)744-5470
jviar@nhfgd.org

Hello Forrest-
Yes, feel free to post, thank you for asking. This topic has been addressed at length on fishlakewinni.com before; I sent/posted a formal response in the past (there was quite a debate and accusations of certain individuals running cheater lines, etc. so it warranted further clarification). Any time we can get the word out is a good thing.

John maybe they mean you put the fly's in series on the same line.He said that as soon as you add a droper line that is called another line per the books.But I have never heard of this but you never know.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: 2007 law change question to John Viar with his reply

If you attach a short piece of mono to tie another fly on I would think it is a "branch" or a cheater ?

Just curious ?

John S.

Replying to:

John maybe they mean you put the fly's in series on the same line.He said that as soon as you add a droper line that is called another line per the books.But I have never heard of this but you never know.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: 2007 law change question to John Viar with his reply

John there are ways to attach the flys with out cutting into the line.That's what I ment I agree with you adding a line would be another line but if you didn't cut the line you could have a bunch of fly's on one line.I'm going to agree with slipnots statement though one line one hook.I don't care about adding droper lines or cheater lines.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2007 law change question to John Viar with his reply

Erin,

Myself I like to keep it fairly simple, I can run 8 lines off my boat no sweat as long as it's 1 line per rod.

I tried cheaters a few years when I was thought it was legal, I had nothing but trouble, tangles, CF's etc. so I stopped, to me it was more trouble than it was worth to have an extra spoon out there. Then we had the big controversy and ruling interpeted so I was relieved that I was not passing up an advantage.

I realy don't understand why all the states have such different rules, thank God I only fish NH and at that it's took me several years to understand them. As I understand it many states including Maine allow them. I have a book on trolling techiniques by Dick Pool which he has a whole chapter dedicated to it, set ups, etc..

Thanks for this web site we can keep current with NH laws and they are changed.

John S.

Replying to:

John there are ways to attach the flys with out cutting into the line.That's what I ment I agree with you adding a line would be another line but if you didn't cut the line you could have a bunch of fly's on one line.I'm going to agree with slipnots statement though one line one hook.I don't care about adding droper lines or cheater lines.

Erin