Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: braided line

I use on my baitcasters, it is nothing like mono. I like it because it's easy to get birds nest out. I normally put a bit of glue when I tie the hook.

Re: Re: braided line

what pound test should I use for downriggers/trolling ?

Re: Re: Re: braided line

Brown boat If you are going to use braided line for trolling I would run a mono leader of at least 40 to 60 feet off a barrel swivel or some thing like that.I would think that the braided line would take away the stelth affect and the action of your lure.But maybe the new line that is on the market these days you might get away with running it.I run 4 to 8 lb test mono line when trolling for landlocks.I don't know how small of Dia.you can get.Just my two cents.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: braided line

10 lb. braided line has the same diameter as 2 lb. mono. from what i hear it's superior to mono. and the way to go these days, i just haven't used it before.

Re: Re: Re: braided line

ive used the spiderwire 30 pound test for handlining lead core at slow trolling speeds for lakers with good results. ive also got it on my deep sea shark rig, 50 pound spider with an 80 pound 200 foot 80 pound dacron line top shot on my 12 pound trolling reel. there is practically no line stretch with it which you may want with salmon trolling, my old penn reel drags need the extra stretch in the line to avoid breakoffs, i run long leaders of 10-12 pound stretchy mono with 4 pound flourocarbon tippets. i really like the flouro for trolling for the transparancy. be careful tying knots with the spider wire, it cuts right thru you when tightening up on the knots.