Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Downrigger Cable Thoughts

Has anyone ever used the new Power Pro Line for Downriggers? Does the hum of the line attract fish or scare them away. Any thoughts or ideas.

Re: Downrigger Cable Thoughts

Pick your religion, some believe that it does and some believe that it doesn’t. Some guys have used Power Pro and lost their downrigger weight. Some guys have used Power Pro on one side of the boat and regular wire on the other side and have not seen observable differences. Cannon has developed some new downriggers, New 2007 Mag10TS, just to handle Power Pro and monofilament lines. Maybe a new trend is developing?

Re: Downrigger Cable Thoughts

Just remembered, on the Shark downrigger weight video, there was a sequence where the camera was focused on the downrigger terminal swivel and you could see it vibrating like crazy. Also, they claim that it make a noise to attract the fish. There is downrigger weight called RidgeBack Rattler that is designed to make noise.

Re: Re: Downrigger Cable Thoughts

I have a 13 lb Ridgeback weight and it puts out a trail that I can see on my fishfinder.It puts out a sonic noise from the way it is drilled and machined I have yet to use it around here But have used it in Lake Ontario and have seen fish come up from the bottom to check it out so It does work.Like gus has said it all personal preferences.the shark and the Ridgebacks are big $$ they both go for around $65.00.as far as the cable goes.There is the hum that is put out that lets me know that I'm at the right speed.I don't know if it helps or not I have been hearing that hum for over 20 years so It doesn't bother me but maybe the braid would give you a more of a stealth approach I don't know.Another exsample of wire hum is,I use wire line for dipsey divers for king salmon and the hum and the vibration that the wire line puts out does put fish in the boat so I think that the vibration is a good thing but that's just me.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Downrigger Cable Thoughts

Does it stay under the boat well, with the shape of them I would think it would drift back, not very streamlined ? Just curious.

As I only use 2 riggers I can't run all different kinds of balls but I have ordered a few Sharks.

John S.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I have a 13 lb Ridgeback weight and it puts out a trail that I can see on my fishfinder.It puts out a sonic noise from the way it is drilled and machined I have yet to use it around here But have used it in Lake Ontario and have seen fish come up from the bottom to check it out so It does work.Like gus has said it all personal preferences.the shark and the Ridgebacks are big $$ they both go for around $65.00.as far as the cable goes.There is the hum that is put out that lets me know that I'm at the right speed.I don't know if it helps or not I have been hearing that hum for over 20 years so It doesn't bother me but maybe the braid would give you a more of a stealth approach I don't know.Another exsample of wire hum is,I use wire line for dipsey divers for king salmon and the hum and the vibration that the wire line puts out does put fish in the boat so I think that the vibration is a good thing but that's just me.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Downrigger Cable Thoughts

John Good Morning,
Yes they track very well they do cut back blowback as well as atract fish to your spread.The sharks are just as nice for reduceing blowback also.I run the Ridgeback with my temp probe and it helps minimizes the blow back so do the 13 lb torpedoes I run.My problem is when I get below 120 feet deep with the rigger I get alot of blow back so I might try getting a 15 lb shark for my probe I'm just not sure if my cannons can handle them(The Weight).

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Downrigger Cable Thoughts

Thanks for the reply.

You wont need to go that deep in NH.

John S.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

John Good Morning,
Yes they track very well they do cut back blowback as well as atract fish to your spread.The sharks are just as nice for reduceing blowback also.I run the Ridgeback with my temp probe and it helps minimizes the blow back so do the 13 lb torpedoes I run.My problem is when I get below 120 feet deep with the rigger I get alot of blow back so I might try getting a 15 lb shark for my probe I'm just not sure if my cannons can handle them(The Weight).

Erin

My only problem with the power pro line would be the chance that it would pick up the dreaded sea fleas even worse than the downrigger cables do now.

WHAT COLOR RIDGEBACK DO YOU HAVE? THEY HAVE 3 COLORS.

Have you ever used the ridgeback rattler?

how do you connect your release to the unit? I use a black with a rubber band. Do you have to use a clip at the tail?

Bob on the Ridgeback you can't use a release on the weight it's self.It will efect the tracking of the weight.You could use the blacks on top of it.I also use a blacks release and rubber band.But I use the slider clip.Because of my Temp probe.I use a scottys cable stop in the middle of the clip and it keeps it from sliding up and down the cable. I'm not sure about the sharks I will ask a charter captain I know who uses them and get back to you.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Downrigger Cable Thoughts

I'm not sure about the hum on the downrigger's wire.
I have cannon down riggers and they have always had a hum, is that what you are talking about??

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Downrigger Cable Thoughts

yes.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Downrigger Cable Thoughts

Bob I have the yellow colored one but I am thinking of painting it black like all the other weights I have.I'm not sure yet if you are going to the gathering I could bring it with me so you could see it if you want.just let me know.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Downrigger Cable Thoughts

Yes, I am going to the gathering. I want to meet everyone. Where did you purchase yours?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Downrigger Cable Thoughts

You can buy them from the owner of the company his name is Chip or I go thru Bob at his store Bobs outdoors here is his site.Hope this helps.

Erin

Bobs outdoors

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Downrigger Cable Thoughts

Sorry bob I guess my link didn't work try this.
Erin

Bobs Outdoors