Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Opinions please -- electric motor, stay or go?

Maybe some day your up there i will meet you around the mouth of the river area and hammer some fish(LOL)

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Opinions please -- electric motor, stay or go?

I have a bow mount minnkota with autopilot on my lund. It allows me to put it in autopilot and hold my course while setting up my downriggers. Great for trolling. can hold 1.8 for a number of hours. I also have a inboard auto voltage distribution system that allows me to recharge on my inboard alternator. troll for 5 or 6 hours and then go to the gas. The trolling motor also allows me to troll very very slow and hold my course. trolling slowly with smelt works great. I see it as another tool

THANKS for Opinions -- electric motor stays

Thanks Erin, Russ, Flatlander for the feedback. I've been convinced to keep the Minnkota on board. I need to work out how to wire this all up, but I do like the idea of having the ability to troll slow and quiet with the electric even if its only under ideal (no wind, waves). I could use the 9.9 at idle as a glorified generator when the batteries get low (happens quick on my setup)...thats been the real problem using the Minnkota, the servo for the autopilot is not very efficient and drains the batteries quick. With on board charging I could revive this as a tool...just another option.

And man do I love my Alumacraft Magnum. After closer inspection of the bow mount area I've got enough room to tuck the planer mast mounting plate just behind the Minnkota not even an inch off the centerline. These modern boat manufacturers really have laid out these boats with all the rigging possibilities in mind.

April is just around the corner...