Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thermocline water temp. sensor

Looking for info on themocline sensing equipment.What works good?Thanks Polebreaker.

Re: Thermocline water temp. sensor

If your looking for a rigger probe there are a few that will work very well.1.Depth raider $420,subtroll about the same,Cannon SNT $500,Fish hawk $640 and works with a transducer that mount's on the boat.The other 3 transmit through the cable.If it were me I would go with the depth raider.The replacement probe is around $170 same with the sub troll the cannons probe(which I have) is $400.If I ever lost my probe I would go with the raider.
Pro's
Depth raiders probe is small
depth raiders display is nice and visible any where in the boat
speed reading in nice and steady
Same with the sub troll( the sub troll and raider are almost the same unit there displays are different but probes are the same)
Cannon has a depth sensor that is a plus so I always know how deep my probe is.
It also has a light sensor that let you know the light penetration in the water.Fish hawk has the smallest probe of them all attachs easy to your cable.
Con's
raider probe has to be crimped on to the main rigger cable(there are ways to hook it up so you can take it off whenyour done with it)Sub troll is the same way.
Cannons probe is attached to the cable with a plastic pc that wraps aroud the cable I don't think is a good way to do it you have to check your cable every time out for nicks.( if you go to gray ghost web page he has pictures of his SNT probe set up so you can get an Idea of how he fixed his probe.Gus's is the best set up that I have seen yet I am going to modify mine this spring).Plus cannon give you 125 or 130 lb coated cable(I replaced mine with 150 cable from sub troll).
Cannons probe is the bigest of them all.This should give you an Idea on temp probes.I hope this helps.I'm no expert but have looked in to this stuff a long time before I bought mine so I'm just passing the info along.

Erin

Re: Re: Thermocline water temp. sensor

Thanks Erin,just the info I was looking for. WJYVDave