Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Antenna- Gray Ghost/YoAdrien

Grey Ghost -- Eric again...Question on the twisted wire and VHF in general. After further review my mechanic is suggesting we not go with a dual motor + dual battery charging capability as my second battery (2 actually) are deep cycles that don't charge very effectively from outboards (or so I'm told). This results in my needing to wire the VHF to the main battery vs. the trolling batteries, a longer run, so I probably should think about the twisted wires. Is this as simple as it sounds, twisting the entire length of the + and - wires together between the battery and radio? I presume this helps reduce the net magnetic field / interference from the power cable during transmit?

Thanks again,

Eric

Re: Re: Re: Antenna- Gray Ghost/YoAdrien

I have the shakespeare Galaxy, same as the ghost.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Antenna- Gray Ghost/YoAdrien

I'm about to install the same Galaxy. Grey Ghost, your boat size / layout is pretty similar to mine, so I presume you don't think the 8-ft. galaxy is overkill? I was going to mount it just forward of bimini hardware, port side. Where do you have yours?

Re: Re: Re: Antenna- Gray Ghost/YoAdrien

Never have enough Tx power, by going to the 8” antenna, the ERP (effective radiated power is doubled. Antenna is mounted about 6” to the stern, port side of windshield.

To twist the power pair of wires; stick one end into a vise and the other in a drill chuck and twist to about 1 to 1 1/2 turns per inch, remembering that the total length of the wire pair is going to shortened when twisting. Fuse at the battery and determine wire size for 3% or less voltage drop.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Antenna- Gray Ghost/YoAdrien

Thanks again Gus. Good and practical advice.