Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Survey of opinions: early-season presentations

this year im going with flies as i bought one of jims jigging machines, havent had the best luck with flies but im going to give it my best effort this spring. i usually start the year with smelt and suttons size 5 and 72, the smallest and largest size in hammered silver/ gold. 6-7 feet 4 pound flouro leader and a long length maybe 60 feet of 12 pound stretchy cortland camo mono line. i have never had luck with any flasher attached to the line so i dont use dodgers or flashers, i do like the orange/ red beads on bait rigs

Re: Re: Survey of opinions: early-season presentations

hi fishlessman
jim try youing smelt on the jiger
fish it way back 100 feet or more on 6 lbs line and a leader and swivei at 8 to 6 feet of fluorocarbon line you shiner hook up and lease the rear out of the smelt tail run the front hook only. lease the back hook just under the tail ok
you the jigger on low go at 15. to 20 mi.h.ok is work wellon the jigger
all year long.
flies go out with tandum in the spring you need to be back
you are not out where the fish are they are shy rainbow and sanmen in the spring.
i you a 8.5 lomg rod m. weight 18 lbs. lead core line .in the spring 1/2 to a full color in the water that is what you want to fish in the spring time.
flies to you any smel fly like joe smel jerry smelt and jim smelt mayard grayghost redghost flaggs silver shiner and flaggs slelt fly size 4 6 and tandum flies big you have go 2.5 30 and more casting streamer 20. to 2.5 and you have to have a in line swivel at end of you line and 6 to 8 leader ok. ihope this will help you out this spring keep a book on what you do it help jim rod pumper

Re: Re: Re: Survey of opinions: early-season presentations

thanks jim, every thing ive read lately says im not going fast enough for the flies, going to give it my best, might even leave the lures at home for the first few attempts so that i dont cave in.

Re: Survey of opinions: early-season presentations

eric, early season you don't need leadcore, the fish are up top. Light lines and tackle are what makes this time of year the best. I use 6 or 8# mono to a 4# leader. The leader is 25 to 30 feet long. Slow troll db smelt, top guns, mooselook wobblers or sutton spoons(1.8 to 2.3 mph from a gps unnit). Streamer flies work great also (grey ghost, winni smelt, or whatever Alan has tied at AJs in Meredith always work well. The flies should be trolled a little faster (2.3 to 2.9 mph). I never use dodgers or flashers, takes away too much action in the fight.
I sometimes will put a split shot (stailess steel) just to keep it under the surface. These techniques are successful for a good six weeks after ice out particularly just as the sun rises. Have been doing it this way for over twnty five years, and I very rarely get skunked. You have to work it different every time with colors etc. depending on daily conditions like the sky and the sun - trial and error.
Sometimes you really have to work to find the right combo, but hey if it was easy everyone would be doing it!!!

Re: Re: Survey of opinions: early-season presentations

eric i forgot to mention that live smelt also work quite well. again i would troll live bait in the slower range 1.8 to 2.0 mph. i don't do alot of live bait trolling, but that's just myself, i think biggest salmon and lake trout in 06's derby were both caught on live smelt. goood luck and have fun!

Re: Re: Re: Survey of opinions: early-season presentations

Interesting. I had been thinking of using long mono 1st leaders and final 5-6 ft(pole length) leaders of 6# off leadcore...maybe 1/2 color lead in the water just to get the lure / fly down a few feet.. 4# is sooo light...But I might try it.

I wonder if my lack of success with flies is I was trolling too slow. I typically troll 1.6 - 2.2, hardly much faster but should experiment more at slightly faster speeds, especially ith flies.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Survey of opinions: early-season presentations

Might also consider using a color or two of lead sandwiched between 8 or 10 lb mono. This lets you present far behind the boat and still get a lure or fly down 5 or 10 ft. My biggest rainbow of last year was on an orange tandem fly and this set-up in May. I cannot take credit for this, Travis suggested this for spring trolling when I first met him on a charter in Aug 2005. Hope this helps to get you into a few fish.....

Tim