Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Survey of opinions: early-season presentations

eric i forgot to mention that live smelt also work quite well. again i would troll live bait in the slower range 1.8 to 2.0 mph. i don't do alot of live bait trolling, but that's just myself, i think biggest salmon and lake trout in 06's derby were both caught on live smelt. goood luck and have fun!

Re: Re: Re: Survey of opinions: early-season presentations

Interesting. I had been thinking of using long mono 1st leaders and final 5-6 ft(pole length) leaders of 6# off leadcore...maybe 1/2 color lead in the water just to get the lure / fly down a few feet.. 4# is sooo light...But I might try it.

I wonder if my lack of success with flies is I was trolling too slow. I typically troll 1.6 - 2.2, hardly much faster but should experiment more at slightly faster speeds, especially ith flies.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Survey of opinions: early-season presentations

Might also consider using a color or two of lead sandwiched between 8 or 10 lb mono. This lets you present far behind the boat and still get a lure or fly down 5 or 10 ft. My biggest rainbow of last year was on an orange tandem fly and this set-up in May. I cannot take credit for this, Travis suggested this for spring trolling when I first met him on a charter in Aug 2005. Hope this helps to get you into a few fish.....

Tim