Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
best monofilament line

I've been using Berkley XT for trolling reels, seems very good quality and very tough stuff. However I am always open to trying another brand....
Wondering what other's are using an opinions.

Re: best monofilament line

ive taken to using cortland camo, its cheap and i dont mind cutting it off and replacing it when 2 leadcores get all tangled. i use heavier stuff and buy the 4 pound flouro for the 6 foot tippet tied to the lure from the last swivel. there is a good amount of stretch with that line and it acts like a shock absorber. i used to buy more expensive stuff, but spent so much time untangling it that it just didnt make sense to me. its much less frustrating for me to just cut it off and respool. one thing ive learned with the flouro is to test a piece in the store by hand, 4 pounds test on an older line breaks a lot easier than a fresh one. they say it doesnt get weaker with age, but that has not been my experience with flouro

Re: Re: best monofilament line

I myself use Yo-Zuri Hybrid on my leadcore and i love the stuff, also use it on our downrigger poles really strong and i have had no problems with it whatsoever. Just my .02 though. Take Care God Bless LOL Dave From up North

Re: Re: Re: best monofilament line

What color on the main line with that yo-zuri, smoke, clear or green?

Re: Re: Re: Re: best monofilament line

Clear on the Yo Zori

I like Yo-zori flouro, I would also agree with the last post, test it in the store. I've bought old 4lbs test and It broke real easy.
Dan

Have also had good luck with the Cortland Camo. Can't always find it so when I can't I use the Berkley XT also. Usually find the Cortland at KTP. Another good line I do not see much of is ANDE. The shops down in MA seem to all carry ANDE 15lb and up. Just can't find the 4 & 6lb often.

i usually load my reels with berkely xt or maxima mono.

don't load you reels with berkely vanish, it is not durable as a main running line, it is ok as a leader.

i like clear berkely 10lb xt for a main line with rigger rods and then stick on a 4-6lb leader.

I've been happy with Yozuri Hybrid for my rigger rods. I usually use 8lb clear with a 4 or 6 lb flurocarbon leader (6-8' with a tiny barrel swivel between main line and leader). The Yozuri is very supple and ties and holds knots easily. Just my two cents worth.....

Re: Re: Re: best monofilament line

I use 6lb and 8lb berkley vanish for my leaders on my leadcore setups 40 to 100 feet and also on my downrigger setups 40 to 100 feet to stren superbraid and have had no problems with this line ,great line and last long even though I change it after every outing. come on ice out, "reel it in"

Re: Re: Re: Re: best monofilament line

8lb.Berkly vanish for me on everything.Anyway,lines are not my problem they don't call me polebreaker for nothing!!!

I use Seaguar Invizx. Seaguar is the company that invented Fluorocarbon. They make it better than anyone. It has better knot strength, better abrasion resistance, lower memory and better impact strenght. That is why all the Tuna guys use it. They have two lines of Fluorocarbon for spinning reels. The carbon pro makes an excellent downrigger line, and the Invizx makes an excellent leader or spinning line. I will show you both this weekend.

Re: Be careful About Yo-Zuri Line

I used to sell the stuff, it is super tough, but don't but it because you think it is a Fluorocarbon line. It has less than 1% fluorocarbon. Put it in the water and you can see it. All 100% fluorocarbon will be invisible, it depends on the resein and the extruding process how strong, knot strength...
Seaguar is the only company with a dual structure, softer on the outside and harder on the inside. This way when the knot pulls tight, it does not cut into each other and break. There is a difference.

Re: Re: Be careful About Yo-Zuri Line

Always used Bonny Royal (sp) Brown on Champlaine the waters a little stained, seemed to catch more fish. Used clear on winni, but hard to find it now. So recently been sticking with yo-zuri, vanish. Cabelas florocarbon I don't like, brittle. I stick with 8lb, not that I want to but can't get the fingers to work on lesser lbs, plus a can't see anything smaller. see all on Sun. w-fat

Re: Re: Be careful About Yo-Zuri Line

Which Seaguar fluorocarbon works best for trolling leader ???

Re: Re: Re: Be careful About Yo-Zuri Line

I really is a personal preference. I will show you all three at the gathering this weekend. Some like it limp, some like it to lay straight...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Be careful About Yo-Zuri Line

I have started using Pline fluoclear because I find it has qualities like mono (limp and less memory than some of the fluorocarbons, But after reading BeCareful Re: Yo-zuri,hybrid I am now wondering if its more a visible?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Be careful About Yo-Zuri Line

I will show you my invisibility tube. It shows, berkley, P-line and Seaguar. You can see for yourself. If any line is 100% fluo, it will be invisible under water, the main differences are knot strength, abraision resistance, limpness, impact strength...

I have been using Silver Thread Excalliber for the past three years as my running line, and I have been really happy with it, using 4 lb test for winni. I get the bigger rolls (8 lbs?) and it goes a long way.

I tried Ande before that, it just didn't hold up well.

You can't go wrong with the Berkley XT either, but the silver thread is thinner and just as durable.

Avoid the Vanish as a running line, way too expensive and it just doesn't hold up well as a main/running line. I agree with YoAdrien, it make an ok leader, and that is what I use it for.