Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hummingbird 565 fishfinder

I have a hummingbird matrix 65 it has gps and I like it. I'm not sure about the one your looking at but I think hummingbird is a nice brand.
Dan

Re: Re: Hummingbird 565 fishfinder

I have the 565, had it installed 2yrs ago. No problem, except I see more fish on the outside cone than under the boat.

Re: Re: Re: Hummingbird 565 fishfinder

I just got the same fish finder. Will be installing it in the next few weeks.

Re: Re: Hummingbird 565 fishfinder

I am looking at the same finder to upgrade so I have speed and temp. I have been told that the paddle wheel speed units are not accurate. I do not know
Does anyone have any info on this.

Re: Re: Re: Hummingbird 565 fishfinder

I agree, the paddles are not accurate. I checked it out with a hand held GPS. It fluctuates quite a bit, but it does give some information. My speedometer on the boat doesn't start until I'l going 10 MPH.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hummingbird 565 fishfinder

My fishfinder is and eagle seafinder 320df and it has both surface temp and speed using the paddle wheel at the slowest speed I can get down to 1.6 according to the unit. It may not be accurate but I have caught salmaon lakers and rainbows so it must be in the ball park range of accuracy.However, I have never compared it to a gps so I dont know how far off it really is!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hummingbird 565 fishfinder

So then what is a good unit for roughly that price, $250.00 to $300.00 that finds fish, speed and water temp. The water temp part isn't that important to me.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hummingbird 565 fishfinder

Assuming you have a gps unit available... concentrate on finding a fish finder that has adjustable sensitivity levels. This will let you fine-tune your unit to see the bait pods AND fish (knowing which you have under you is helpful).

Knowing the surface temp of the water really isn't important, so don't even make that a purchasing issue. When anyone is looking for a particular temperature zone, that's when the fish are deeper and you're looking for the effects of the thermocline. A surface temp gauge on a fishfinder won't help you with that.

A paddle wheel speed gauge will work accurately when the lake is dead flat, there's no wind pushing the boat and there is no water current. How often does that happen? I have yet to see a day like that on Winni. On a normal day, a paddle wheel is going to vary in speed every time you go up and down a wave, when the boat rocks side to side due to waves, when you're going against or with the wind and/or when there is any water current working with or against the boat/engine.
The cheapest way to get a reasonably accurate speed of movement across the surface is a gps unit. A handheld is the cheapest of those...
The best way to know the speed your lure is moving is a submersible temp/speed probe. You're looking at 400 to 800 bucks for that though.

If I were limited to 300 buckeroos to get going for the opener, and I DIDN'T already have a gps available, here's what I'd do. I'd buy a good handheld gps and a cheap fishfinder. My reasoning? I feel that I rely on my gps more than anything. Speed is crucial AND the gps lets me create routes and mark hotspots of where I've caught fish so I can return. I think being able to return to a hot spot or follow a route is more important than seeing fish on my fish finder. The biggest thing for a starter fish finder is actually being able to get an accurate depth reading. This will allow you to see and learn the bottom contours that will hold bait and therefore trout/salmon. You also need to know how deep you are to manage your line depth. (Nobody likes getting hooked on bottom.)

Honestly, there have been days on my boat and on others I have been on that our fish finders were not working and we fished solely using the info from our gps units. Luckily I have Navionics on mine, so it also shows me depths... but as long as you had a saved route or some waypoints to go by, you could continue to fish without fear of getting too shallow.

Lastly, I use Eagle products and have had great luck with them. Good prices on quality equipment. As a backup I have an eTrex handheld gps unit. (I think it was like $150? but provides all the info for speed, location, routes, waypoints and mostly... how to get home if it turns foggy or something.)

I hope this helps? Good luck.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hummingbird 565 fishfinder

Slipknot is right on.My,up front fish finder is an eagle seacharter 500c.I paid 425.00 for this unit last year.It has G.P.S.It should be cheaper this year. I put the navionics chip in it.I found i liked it so much that i just use that one for way points and underwater topo mapping.I have a lowranceX107 in the back of the boat,the graphics are vastly superier to the eagle,same price range but no g.p.s.I must say again,that navionics upgrade made an unbelievable differance.I am glad i bought one that i could upgrade .Polebreaker