Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lake Ontario Info

Here is some top charter Captains out on the western area of Lake Ontario Lure lists.I found this on the At the Oak web site.Wish I was going with you guys but I will be heading out there the 3rd week of may for a couple of days I am unable to make the early trip I will try to get you what ever info I can from my buddys that live out there.Good luck to all who head out.

2006 Archive

Note...Here are the current favorite spring lures of six very successful charter captains (in alphabetical order):

"Alibi Charters"...Capt. Bud Marsh, who also fishes Wilson in the spring and the Oak later, is considered by many to be one of the two best walleye pros on Lake Erie (Capt. Paul Dreher of "Fortune Charters" is the other one). Capt. Bud had the 16th place king (25 lb.) in last week's LOC taken on a Dreamweaver. Last spring he had the LOC Salmon Division winner (taken on a Pirate 55). His top spoons recently have been a pink Yeck with a glow edge and purple on the other edge, Yeck silver/chartreuse with pink edges, Dreamweaver chicken wing. Flasher/flies...Spin Doc white on white and monkey puke, he also pulls a purple revelator with various flies on the other side.

"Buc-a-roo Charters"... Capt. Ron Penna's hottest baits to date, not necessarily in this order are: Yeck Frogs (white and silver belly), Yeck Orange Crush (silver belly), Yeck Mass Confusion (gold), Yeck Dirty Little White Boy (silver belly), Yeck Black Cranberry Thunder (silver belly), Yeck Glow Green Dolphin (silver belly), Pirate Bud Lites,Pirate Spooks (gold), white and silver E-chips with Siggs Flys behind them (Mirage, Green Hypnotist, and Halo Hypnotist).

"Fortune Charters"...Capt. Paul Dreher is now at Wilson and will soon be at Dunkirk. Just talked to him, spoons: all of these are Yecks...pink, copperhead, purple demon, orange crush wobbler, dirty little white boy and the green dolphin (halo); flasher/flies: nothing but Spin Doctors white on white and mountain dew glow with mountain dew flies.

“Point Breeze Charters"...Capt. Jack 'Lucky' Bower's primary game plan recently up at Wilson: early morning the hottest 'go to' spoon is the black/silver green glow in both 55 and mag sizes; late morning his best has been a 55 smooth silver with diagonal pinkish/purple tape; other very effective blades are Stinger NBK, Fishlander froggy glow, 42 second, orange crush, Dreamweaver lemon ice, mulatto super glow and gold black magic. No flasher flies during this time period.

"Reel Excitement Charters"..."Hi everyone, here is the Reel Excitement Spring Programs for Niagara Bar Kings...all NBK Spoons are DW (Dream Weavers). I have been running 5 Downriggers with great success with a 10 foot spread, depending on conditions from 25' - 65' or 35' - 75'. Best deep spoon on my center has been my Half and Half (black/gold spoon with half of the black side covered with crinkle glow), next up is gold black Magic on the port corner rigger; starboard corner is purple thunder with a glow and gold ladder back on it. These 3 spoons are working in all conditions at all times. Next on starboard out and down in early morning or on a cloudy day is a 42 second spoon with a gold cup (this is a NK) on the port is a Trackers Black Magic gold cup. On sunny days mid morning on, the Starboard out and down is a silver money tape diagonal and the port is a silver orange diagonal. I am running all slide divers with mono and my best spoon by far is the Greasy Chicken wing on #2 any where from 100/200 feet depending where the fish are in the water column and on cloudy days the purple thunder mentioned above replaces the wings at the same general settings. Lead cores always have Coho rigs on, orange dodgers with A-TOM-MIK green pearl flies (very hot). The fishing has been a good as it gets, Good Times, Capt. Bob Songin"

"Sunrise II Sportfishing"...this is from the Deuce: "The site is GREAT! my customers check it out every day... I just wanted to add a few things that work, not only at the Oak, but other waters on the lake also. Right now if you can find that elusive pea green water, the chartreuse, black, and white Revelator are working great. 24" behind the Revs are the A-TOM-MIK green pearl and the T.G., also the white halo with various color beads. On the divers, wire at 120' to 150' when the fish are deep, and 90' to 100 when the shallow rigs are going. When the water is cold and clear, the white on white Rev is good...play with the fly color to find the best. This time of year, fish the marks not the temp. these Salmon will surprise you how 'coooold' they like the water. I know this is only a tid bit but the spinners are working so good right now that I wanted to share this with the other fishermen...Capt. Bob Stevens

Re: Lake Ontario Info

I worked as a mate 2 years ago on one of the bigger name boats in Oswego. This how that end of the lake has worked for the last 4 years:

Spring Browns: Silver/black, gold/black, tenn. Shad - early morning/ cloudy days.

Bright sunshine: Sil/Black, blu/silver.

Smithwick Rattlin' Roque SHALLOW RUNNING stick bait 5.5" model

Spoons: Orange Shanster Michigan Stingers with silver or gold backs work awesome.

Spoon fed kings: Before daylight: anything glow green. as the sun comes up and it starts getting lighter, go to your patterns that are referred to as "froggy". When the sun is up, got to your black/silver patters (alewife) and silver/green patterns.

Green has been the dominant color in the Oswego area for some time now.

Hope this helps!

Re: Re: Lake Ontario Info

What do you recommend for 1st week in September?
Thanks in advance.
Cal

Re: Re: Re: Lake Ontario Info

Cal I use meat rigs with a green e chip flasher with a green glow meat head with and with out a twinkie rig.I also run what they call a golden retreiver meat rig it's a red and clear flasher and same color twinki rig.Plus I run on my dipseys is a green echip/green A-tom-mik crinkle fly,white spin DR.with a A-tom-mik Hammer fly.white e chip/LBB a-tom-mik fly.Spoons I run stinger NBK.Diehard,stinger frogy/glow.Bloody nose # 4 j-plug and green glow ladder back j-plugs.Here is a site that will have a fishing report that he does from spring LOC to the end of september so you will know what is going on when you head up.He is also where I buy all my fly's and meat rigs here.Tom is a first class person.Cal I just checked his site he doesn't have the fishing report link up and running yet but he will sometime this spring.Hope this helps.

Erin

Trolling Fly's

Re: Re: Re: Re: Lake Ontario Info

Thanks Erin,
This is almost as complicated as Gray Ghost explaining how to put a picture on the web at the "Gathering".
Cal

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lake Ontario Info

Cal It's easier than you think.Once you see how they work it's easy.Catching the fish is the hard part(LOL).If you want I can take pictures and post them for you so you can see what I use I don't mind at all.If you have any questions let me know I can give you my cell # and we can shoot the bull It don't matter to me I just love to fish and shoot the bull about fishing.I know allot of people that fish that area of the lake and also the bar area or any where else on lake ontario.so I can get you info when ever you need it.GOD I love this time of year(LOL).Sorry for Babbling.Have a great day.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lake Ontario Info

White Cap,

I'm still waiting for you to post a picture, so when are you going to do it????????? and show the world.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lake Ontario Info

With global warming it's going to take even longer for hell to freeze over!
Cal